Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It’s not an invasive. It’s been growing in poor MO soils forever. Strips along a field edge is awesome bugging habitat for turkey poults. Tall which offers protection from avian predators and shade and it grows in clumps so there is plenty of open understory. Given the choice between it and fescue or other truly invasive species I’ll take it every day of the week.
From my experience where it grows and thrives there is no business to even attempt to put in a food plot.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
100% native to MO and most of the US just west of and all of east of the Mississippi River. It is very closely related to big bluestem and little bluestem. Never quite understood why it got such a bad reputation. From my experience it is and always was the NWSG of the MIssouri and Arkansas Ozarks and there has always been way more of it than big blue, little blue, Indian grass, gamma oats, etc. It acts the exact same way as the fashionable NWSGs in a lot less desirable soils. Controls erosion, high canopy, open understory, allows other beneficial natives like partridge pea and ragweed to backfill within a stand of it, etc.

I could name off about 25 weeds, grasses and plants that were introduced in the name of wildlife habitat that are invasive and way worse to have than broom sedge.

On a side note, back when there was quail in the Ozarks you absolutely couldn’t beat a field of broom sedge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts