Youths to get extra-early turkey season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Keith, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    This year's youth turkey season is the second weekend in April.

JEFFERSON CITY-For hunters who get chills when they hear a turkey gobble, the
    opening of spring turkey season is Christmas and Thanksgiving wrapped up in one
    wonderful package. For Missouri youths, the holidays come extra early this year
    because of a fluke in the calendar.

Since Missouri instituted its two-day youth spring turkey hunting season in
    2003, the event has started nine days before the regular season opens. This
    year, however, this would have put young hunters and their adult companions in
    the woods Easter weekend. To avoid conflict with traditional family activities,
    the Missouri Conservation Commission moved the youth hunt back one weekend, to
    April 8 and 9.

That means this year's youth season will open 16 days before the regular season.
    This is great news for young hunters, who are more likely to hear lots of
    gobbling during their special season.

The amount of gobbling hunters hear always depends heavily on weather. Cold,
    rainy or windy conditions make gobblers less vocal. April weather is so
    changeable that a one-week shift in the youth season does not make much
    difference in the prospects for good weather. However, another factor will work
    in young hunters' favor this year.

Missouri's regular spring turkey season always opens on the Monday nearest April
    21. This arrangement is intended to give turkeys plenty of time to breed
    undisturbed while still allowing hunters to be in the woods when male turkeys
    are actively gobbling.

Gobbling and other mating behaviors are triggered mainly by changes in light. It
    isn't unusual to hear the first gobbles on a sunny January morning, as birds
    respond to increasing day length. Gobbling reaches a crescendo the first week in
    April, when male turkeys are fully fired up and hens are just becoming ready to
    mate.

Gobbling becomes less frequent around the middle of April, when hens are
    receptive to gobblers' advances. During this time, hens lay an egg a day and
    visit gobblers often to ensure that eggs are fertilized. Gobblers don't have to
    be so vocal to attract mates during this period.

Toward the end of April, however, most hens finish laying eggs and begin
    incubating them. Finding themselves suddenly without much female companionship,
    toms gobble more frequently to attract the few remaining receptive hens.

April 21 is the long-term average date of the second gobbling peak. The timing
    of Missouri's three-week spring turkey season is designed to give hunters from
    northern to southern Missouri the best chance of being in the woods during the
    second peak in gobbling activity.

"Moving the youth season back a week puts the season right in the midst of the
    first gobbling peak," said Resource Scientist Jeff Beringer, who oversees the
    state's turkey management program. "That means kids should hear a lot of
    gobbling, all things being equal."

But Beringer cautioned that all years are not equal. The exact timing of the
    first and second peaks in gobbling activity depends on weather and other, even
    less predictable factors. Warm, sunny weather can set turkeys' mating calendar
    forward as much as a week, while cold, rainy conditions can retard the process
    by a week. Local conditions also can have a profound effect on gobbling.

"Sometimes you go out and hear lots of gobbling, and you think 'This is the
    second peak of gobbling.' Then you go a few miles away and you don't hear
    anything. Turkeys are a law unto themselves. That's part of why hunting them is
    so fascinating. No one ever completely figures out turkey behavior."

Adult hunters will have to wait longer than usual to pursue gobblers this
    spring. To maximize turkey breeding success and hunting opportunities,
    Missouri's spring turkey season opens on the Monday nearest April 21. This means
    that in some years, including last year, turkey season opens as early as April
    18. In others, like this year, it dictates an opening date as late as April 24.

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    That's great!!:eek: The regular season should open that Monday following the Youth season instead of two weeks later too.

Jack

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I sure agree. Youth portion should be some hot action. :eek:

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Agreed :cheers:

5. deerkiller012

deerkiller012 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    kansas city
    thats good for me I cant wait

6. coyotekilller

coyotekilller New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    im in kansas and ours is the 7-9. itll be my first time hunting turkeys

7. ArrowJumper

ArrowJumper New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    St. Elizabeth, MO
    I think the idea of youth season it great, there's nothing we need more as hunters then to the get young people involved in our sport so it doesn't slowly fade away, but unfortunatley I also know quite a few adults who take advantage of this to just kill another animal themselves. Was just wondering if this is a problem anywhere else?:soapbox:

8. deerkiller012

deerkiller012 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    kansas city
    no do you mean like poaching?

9. ArrowJumper

ArrowJumper New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    St. Elizabeth, MO
    No I mean they take a youth out with them but the adult does all the shooting instead of letting the youth do it and learning from their own mistakes.

10. deerkiller012

deerkiller012 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    kansas city
    no never heard of that at least around here(but not many people hunt in k.c.)

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    yeah aj im sure it happens, as does people tagging other peoples deer / turkey etc... not much is gonna stop those peeps but as long as every person trys to teach the good hunting ethics to atleast 1 person they encounter, soon the problem will disappear...

12. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    I cant wait........let my newphew get a chance at his 1st bird.....I will enjoy the moment prolly alot more than he will. Best part he's only 7 and my sis has him as a st. louis city boy....not if I get my way.:eek::rotfl:

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Outstanding, good luck to ya all r2a

14. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

wish I was a youth

15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I'm taking my 11 year old grandaughter and I enjoy taking her much more than the later hunt by myself. I get to see the excitement in her eyes that was once visible in my own. So if any of you have the opportunity take a kid turkey hunting. The one sure fire way to get a kid interested in hunting. Hearing a big ole Tom gobblin' has no comparison in the woods.:cheers:

Jack

16. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

My daughter and I will be out there, her being 15...turning 16 in July, this will be her last youth hunt....I guess I'll have to go out and rent me a kid after this one.....really fun tradition!!!

17. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    This will be Bryan's last youth hunt also. Like Jack, I enjoy it more than hunting myself.They just grow too fast.

18. coyotekilller

coyotekilller New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    fireman you can take me:wave:

19. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Hey, we might be able to work out a trade, got anyplace we can chase em in KS???