Youth shotgun recommendation

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by KChunter, Jan 24, 2018.

1. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    Good call on the semi auto. Those little pumps and single shots thump pretty good. I’m still traumatized from my first 410 experience 20 some years later lol.

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    BTW, grabagun has them in stock for even less.

https://grabagun.com/wby-sa-08-20-24-3-bl-syn-youth.html
    $472 with $7.99 flat rate shipping. Hard to beat that with a stick, and you won't pay sales tax, just the FFL transfer.

3. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    I can tell you what has worked for us.....in fact worked so well that that it has become my number one turkey shotgun as well. Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge, Bushnell Trophy Hunter Red Dot Scope, Primos Tightwad Choke, Hevi 13 "7 Shot or TSS #9 if you can get it.
    If you go with that combo or something similar, you will outshoot 90% of the 12 gauges that are in the field in the Spring.
    If I would change anything, it would be to go with a better quality Indian Creek Choke, but the Tightwad is an economical choke that performs well.

20' and KChunter like this.
  4. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    My boy is 8 and I got him a mossberg 20 gauge youth and he loves it. He killed his first turkey with it last year and handles it great. I let him practice with 8 shot and put turkey loads in it to shoot at a turkey. He didn't even notice the difference in recoil in the MOT. I tried the field pod and didn't like it. Real hard for the kid to adjust up and down on the fly. I got a bog pod tripod and it works great. I set it up in the blind before hand so all he had to do was stand up and put the gun in the yoke.

KChunter likes this.
  5. bucksnguns

bucksnguns Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Kc Mo
    My son has an 11-87 in 20 ga. Youth model has been using it for 10 years. It' been a great gun and very low recoil.

6. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I've got an 870 and a Mossberg pump in youth model. The Mossberg has a slug barrel too. If you want to come shoot either, let me know. I'm up by the airport in KC. Might give you a chance to try before you buy if considering either model.

KChunter likes this.
  7. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

8. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    I ruined my son, a single shot 20ga rocked him and he didn’t shoot a big gun until this year finally.

Got a mossberg super bantam. It’s perfect

9. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

the 870's don't kick too bad or at least my kiddos didn't say anything during the season.......but then again I didn't have them shoot it except for during the hunt, have them practice with a bb gun for the sight alignment. They are big enough now we will pattern it for shots beyond 20-25 yards.

10. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    get him a benelli semi auto 20 guage, he'll never need another shotgun!

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  11. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Berettas are better. :wave1: :D

12. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    they may be, the benilli I messed with was super light with zero felt recoil. may get one myself for turkeys. the 20 guage loads are soo good now not sure the extra pellets are better that the maneuverability???

13. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Any of the three "B's" make for great guns, just given ya da bidness. :wave1:

Wings Fan 19 and 20' like this.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

for sure, need to break down and upgrade the boys shotguns at some point. perhaps when they are able to shoot more and begin smashing clay birds. They are about there.

15. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

How old was he when he shot the single shot?

16. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I did see one on here for sale, an M2, full size though. I love my Benelli M2. Use it for anything and it has very minimal recoil.

20' likes this.
  17. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Bought my girls a Franchi Affinity 20 ga ( camo ) and they all love it !

This dove season I ran out of 12 ga shells and had lots of left over 20 ga from last year so I used it 3 hunts ... It's a great shooting little gun , light and very little recoil ( even with turkey shells )

20' and KChunter like this.
  18. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I hope you are able to get him out, it is so much fun with the kiddos!

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Franchi makes a nice gun, be it their current line of autoloaders, or their O/U's. Well made, and a mid level price range compared to some of the Browning/Beretta/Benelli guns. :tup:

20. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    browning2480 and callaojoe like this.