Youth shotgun recommendation

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by KChunter, Jan 24, 2018.

1. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I'm sure this has been covered but I'm too lazy to search. Looking for recommendations on a youth shotgun for turkey. Plan to mount it on a fieldpod (or similar contraption) with a red dot on the gun. All of the youth pumps I've looked at seem light as a feather and as a result I'm sure they kick like a mule.

2. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Please describe youth, age, weight, height, shotgun handling experience, etc.

20' likes this.

3. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    I got my 6 year old one of the mossberg youth shotguns in 20 Guage last year. It has spacers on the stock so he can use it as he grows. Got a box of light dove loads that he handled fine. I shot some pretty hot 3 inch turkey loads through it and they had pretty good recoil. I didn't have him shoot those till he had a turkey in front of him. He never noticed the recoil even though it rocked him pretty good.

20' and doepee like this.
  4. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Did you have it set up on a fieldpod or similar? Someone told me if you strap it down and put weight on the front leg that helps.

5. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

He'll be close to 7 come turkey season. I don't know how tall he is (guess I should...). All I know is he is the tallest kid in his class :). He's not shot a shotgun yet. Just 22's and pellet guns (full length, using a rest). Not 100% sure if I will let him try this year or not, but I need to get set up either way, because I'm sure he will go next year if not this year.

20' likes this.
  6. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    Yes had it on a field pod. It wasn't strapped down and the gun jumped out. I think some lighter turkey loads would help but it is a light gun. Those files pods are awesome. I use it some myself.

7. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    I've taken a few first timers and have yet to see one notice any recoil when shooting a turkey. I don't know what area you are I'm assuming KC. Im North of springfield. I'd be happy to let you try it if you want.

20' likes this.
  8. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    The Mossy 20 Youth is a great choice for a first gun. Nothing smaller than a 20 gauge and do start him out with the lightest powder puff loads you can find. The gas autos are a bit heavier and take up a little bit more of the recoil, but not much and are more of a challenge to operate for most youths. I do not have any experience with the fieldpod, but seems like it would limit his range of movement some and you may want to see how that goes and if he can manage without it. Just some thoughts and good luck to you and your youth!

9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I'd probably look at Mossy or Rem 870 youth 20ga. Or, even a H&R pardner single shot in 20ga. I believe all of these can later be fitted easily to a full size stock.

I guess the question would be, is this going to be their long term shotgun. If you are just looking for something to use right now, and plan to get them a full size 12ga later.... The H&R gun might make a better option.

10. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    4 years ago I got a Mossberg SA-20 semi auto 20ga.

Semi is not my first choice for a beginner kid's gun, but I have a situation where this size gun will stand the test of time. My son has already outgrown it, as well as his deer rifle, but my daughter will never outgrow these youth size guns. Weight, especially where the center of gravity is on the gun, is the most important part for a smaller person to effectively handle a gun.

I effectively turned the semi auto gun into a single shot, by only loading one shell at at time. The SA-20 is a nice handling gun for a youth.

11. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I recall my nephew having a single 20 that he wouldn't shoot due to the recoil. He opted for a full size 12 auto because it didn't kick as much.

manitou1, ducksNbucks and Mailman like this.
  12. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I doubt they feel it when shooting at a turkey.... Practicing with it would be the problem. Not sure how much more a pardner will have over any pump gun, gas operated 20 would be best to avoid recoil if that is a concern. But, you will spend a lot more money for one of those, unless you can find someone to let you borrow one for a year or two.

13. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I'm not too worried about him being able to "handle" the gun per se, because its going to be on the rest basically pointed at the decoys. I'm not taking him wingshooting. Just need him to be able to make slight adjustments to line it up and shoot and not get the snot knocked out of him.
    Wish I still had my youth Rem. 1100 20 guage that I started out with.

14. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Never really been too concerned about spending money on a gun. Seems like you can always sell it for dang near what you paid for it.

15. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    There ya go then.... Some people are, some realize you rarely get geat down on buying/selling guns. You can get a youth Weatherby SA-08 20ga for about $500(Syn stock, 24" barrel.. Slap in a nice turkey choke, good to go... Heck, even the standard full may do better for a youth than the tighter turkey chokes.... I had one of these for a short time, 12ga versions, not a bad gun for the money.

KChunter likes this.
  16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
  17. Ginzu

Ginzu New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I did lots of research on this about 15 years ago to buy my then 6yo son a shotgun. Went with a Rossi youth combo (20ga and .22 barrels). My son loved shooting it and the single shot forced him to develop in into a well disciplined and accurate shot. Rossi are well made and a quality weapon.

18. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    And, I'd bet money you can get a fullsize butt stock for it once he gets older/bigger. :wave1:

19. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I'm liking that Mossy SA-20.

20. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

callaojoe likes this.