Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· King of Callaway
43,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out listening this morning and nothing, had birds around but they weren't responding to hens. The hens were spread out and calling so they aren't in winter flocks? I'm guessing the boys were henned up? Got me to thinking, I know I read about it somewhere in the past, anyone have any luck busting up a group and getting the gobbler to come back to that area in an hour?

At first with so few sightings of strutters this week, I was wondering if the fall tactic of busting them up and calling them back would work. After this morning I am going to start off with a set the decoys out and wait. Neither kid is old enough to run and gun, but thought some of the fellars on here might have some wisdom to share with youth guides about what to do at this stage of spring.

Definitely worried after this week, week before they were all over, last live bird I saw until this morning (was in front of the blind but was a hen) was Monday.

· blu bogart
23,221 Posts
I would hunt from a blind,put out 2 hen dekes,call to the hens early......and wait,wait,wait…..hope'n a hen will bring in a gobbler with her or more hens will join your dekes.....gobbler sho to come into this,if he see's it.

· Registered
21,445 Posts
I agree with the summary of above. Put up a pop up blind with comfortable chairs in an area you know birds like to be at this stage of the season. Put a deke or two out if you have them and patiently wait, only calling occasionally.

Reactions: WBF

· Registered
422 Posts
Good topic- Mindset and approach changes when hunting with a 7yr old for sure. I'll spend more time making sure the electronics are charged and I have enough food to feed a small army than I will with blinds and decoys. LOT of work for 1 maybe 2 hours of sitting :)

Good luck to all tomorrow!

· King of Callaway
43,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blind is up has four DSD's and comfy chairs and of course shoot through mesh, so they can move around.

Ya kids I have are to young to try it, but I swear I read an article somewhere that an ole boy had luck busting up a henned up gobbler and in about an hour and a half he would start gobbling. Course just cause someone wrote an article doesn't mean it works well.

· 2 Corinthians 5:10
1,819 Posts
I heard gobbling this evening during a walk at the farm. about 530pm. worth county. saw a couple strutters on Monday off hwy 275 when driving thru Kansas.

· Deplorable member
10,722 Posts
We busted up a spring group right before flyup once several years ago while mushroom hunting. We had spotted them and didn’t like where they were headed to roost as far as trying to hunt them in the morning so we circled and headed right into them, scattering them in several directions. Made for a quick double at daylight.

· King of Callaway
43,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We busted up a spring group right before flyup once several years ago while mushroom hunting. We had spotted them and didn't like where they were headed to roost as far as trying to hunt them in the morning so we circled and headed right into them, scattering them in several directions. Made for a quick double at daylight.
Like I said I had heard of it but never tried it, if a kid was 12-14 might be able to pull it off. Seen two hens by them selves today, hoping that's a good sign.

Reactions: killmode
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.