Youth season over...

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by MJO21, Oct 27, 2010.

1. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    bad news, I was supposed to take Sophia out on Sunday evening for youth season, don't think it is going to happen now. We went to a friends farm after school yesterday for a last check of equipment. Sophia is going to shoot my 7-08 encore. I found a wood stock an cut it down, fits perfect. I give her one bullet she loads it properly, closes the barrel, gets on target, pulls the hammer back, a smooth squeeze, the hammer comes down, (no flintch by the way)... misfire or light strike? you could see the impression on the primer but it was light. I take shell out and give her another one.... same steps except now the hammer will not stay back. I get the gun and I cannot get the hammer to stay back?

unless this is an easy fix no youth season and I will probably have to go back to the Ruger 44mag for my gun season.

any ideas? gun was only dry fired once about 4 years ago. It worked flawlessly every time I have ever used it?

factory loads, the same loads I have used for the past three years. I was not concerned about the misfire or the light strike (although I think they are related.)

When I pull the hammer back it will not lock back in the ready to fire position. I can feel it trying to catch but it does not catch enough and the hammer comes forward as soon as I take my thumb off the hammer.

My gunsmith is out of town and will not be home until Saturday. Oh well, Sophia will have a good time sitting in a stand with me during a bow hunt.

MJO

MJO

2. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I have a youth Rem Modle 700 in .243 Win you could borrow. I don't know you, but if you promis it will be taken good care of and returned in the same condition it is in, you are welcome to borrow it. It doesn't have a scope on it, just iron sights. I drive through Union to and from work every day.

3. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    Thanks MoHunter... I have a friend that offered his kids 243 also. I just do not feel comfortable taking an 8 year old out with a gun she is unfamiliar with.

Thank you,
    Michael J Olszowka

4. bulletman

bulletman Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    MJO, it ain't over, this is just an obstacle, you've already been offered one rifle as a loaner,,,,,,,,:D

Take some kind of solvent to the firing pin hole & trigger mechanism and either an air nozzle or a compressed air can and blow it out and you will probably find that it works fine. An Encore doesn't just "break" unless you get rough with it or it gets DIRTY and I'm betting you've got a piece of crud binding something up. A bit of lube and some air may be the ticket until you can get it looked at properly.

5. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    how bout a shotgun with a slug ? theres an option :2thumbsup:

6. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1865061&tid=129868&author=knockemdeadd]how bout a shotgun with a slug ? theres an option :2thumbsup:[/rquote]

That's a great option...20 ga. with a slug can take one down real quick.

7. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I know you said your gunsmith was out of town untill Sat. And i know how we often go to teh same plases to get stuff done. But in this case I might see if there is another gun smith near you and take it to and see if under the special circomstances they count look at it asap and see if it is a easy time wise fix.

It sounds like your daughter has spent alot of time preacticing her skill level up and is ready to go this week end. I am shure your gun smith would understand you taking the gun to a competting smith.

8. lma

lma Active Member

[rquote=1864958&tid=129868&author=mohunter32]I have a youth Rem Modle 700 in .243 Win you could borrow. I don't know you, but if you promis it will be taken good care of and returned in the same condition it is in, you are welcome to borrow it. It doesn't have a scope on it, just iron sights. I drive through Union to and from work every day.[/rquote]What an offer! This place never ceases to amaze me! :claphands::claphands::claphands:

9. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    And if you're daughter has been spending the time to practice and knows the gun, then borrowing a .243 shouldn't be a problem for her. I would definitely do that over using a 20 guage....and would do the .243 instead of giving up.

It's worth the extra effort to get her out there.

10. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

Why not borrow a 243 :confused::confused:

Is she that familiar with your gun, or was the the first time she shot yours too?? Give her one shell in the new gun if you are concerned with her knowing how to use it and you should be good to go. :cheers::cheers: