Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion on the youth rifles out there. I will be buying my son one for his 8th birthday in August. He is average size for his age. I just want to know what you would buy.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Are you thinking 22 LR or deer size calibers????

:cheers::cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
.243 is a great choice in caliber..

As far as savage? I'm a recent savage owner and I have
nothing but good to say about that company. Plenty reliable, good
customer support. Not gonna have remington wood, but looks
decent, nonetheless.

I suggest a composite stock for a first-timer. JMHO, course...

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Sorry for not specifying in my previous post..

.243 is a good MO whitetail deer round. Well placed,
that bullet will make deer DEAD, no question.

I know a guy on this forum that gets one every
year with this gun.. savage to boot!

Remember.. needs to be a good shot, like always.
This caliber will afford the young shooter lots of practice
without the heavy recoil. It is a pleasure to shoot, really.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
For an inexpensive youth rifle I'd suggest an H&R in .243.

Jack

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep a .243 will do just fine, if you are going to put a scope on it make sure you get one with plenty of eye relief, I put a red dot on my son's model 7 youth rifle because the gun was still a little to long for him and he kept trying to get to close to a regular scope.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We started out our boy on my 30-30 but he was bigger than most for his age and was able to handle the recoil. One thing I would recommend no matter what caliber/gun you choose, practice with it some but dont overdo it with the deer killer gun if the recoil for him is enough that he is gonna become recoil shy. Do a lot of practicing with a scoped 22 to work on his breathing and his squeeze of the trigger. Let him become a marksman with the 22 so when the moment of truth comes, it will hopefully all fall into place and he wont be thinking about his sore shoulder from shooting too many rounds through the deer gun. Just my 2 cents.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Brake
never thought of the red dot for youth how does he do with it?
Brake,

I REALLY think that a red dot is THE way to go with kids. Rifle, turkey gun, .22 plinker. Its simple. They can't mess it up. Just put the red dot on the target, and squeeze. infinity eye relief, and the dot does not have to be centered in the scope.

Just make sure you buy a good enough quality one that can handle the shock. A lot of them are really just going to hold up on .22's.

I'll agree with the .243 round too. He'll be good to go with that until the testoterone kicks in to the point where he'll think he needs something bigger.

I don't know of any guns to reccommend to you other than the single shots. Smaller framed guns, and they're tack drivers, and the boy will learn one shot, one kill.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Bowpredator
We started out our boy on my 30-30 but he was bigger than most for his age and was able to handle the recoil. One thing I would recommend no matter what caliber/gun you choose, practice with it some but dont overdo it with the deer killer gun if the recoil for him is enough that he is gonna become recoil shy. Do a lot of practicing with a scoped 22 to work on his breathing and his squeeze of the trigger. Let him become a marksman with the 22 so when the moment of truth comes, it will hopefully all fall into place and he wont be thinking about his sore shoulder from shooting too many rounds through the deer gun. Just my 2 cents.
:cheers: Agreed. Good post. :cheers:

Have him drive tacks with a cheap red dot on a .22, and then get him set up with another one one his deer rifle (or get him shooting the .22 with a good one now, and switch it out before deer season).

Parker

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input. I got him safety minded with his BB gun for about the last year. I would take him out with me while he carried the BB gun. He has shot my 22 from when I was growing up and he does pretty well. Its time to move to something a little bigger. I will most likely go with the .243. The red dot scope might be good to start and then move the a normal scope. Thanks again.:wave:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I got a rossi for my boy, its got interchangable barrels 22lr/20guage/.243
its a single shot and he can handle it. its not to long and he can put the hurting on soda cans with the 22lr. I hadnt thought of a red dot scope for him...thats defintly a good idea.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by chuck88
its a single shot and he can handle it. its not to long and he can put the hurting on soda cans with the 22lr. I hadnt thought of a red dot scope for him...thats defintly a good idea.
How much did that rossi run ya?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I got a weatherby vanguard compact in 7mm-08 for my son. It also comes with a full sized interchangeable stock for adults. I bought it for $400. It was a little hard to find, but well worth it.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Originally posted by chuck88
my only complaint on the rossi (i own one) is that they have been promising to have a barrel swap program like the handi rifle for over two years now and i still can't add a barrel to my sons rifle. i went and bought a handi rifle this past winter so i can add barrels as i need.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I bought my daughter a Thompson Center Contender, youth model .223, several years ago....there's no shortage of barrels for that!!!! It has a fixed 4 power scope on it. Since then, she's outgrown it, and shoots a good used Ruger .243.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Originally posted by fireman_3311
I bought my daughter a Thompson Center Contender, youth model .223, several years ago....there's no shortage of barrels for that!!!! It has a fixed 4 power scope on it. Since then, she's outgrown it, and shoots a good used Ruger .243.
fireman if funds are available that would be my first choice in terms of a multi barreled rifle. now if funds where available and i didn't want to change barrels then it's a Ruger #1 all the way.:dancin::banana:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by JimH
Originally posted by fireman_3311
fireman if funds are available that would be my first choice in terms of a multi barreled rifle. now if funds where available and i didn't want to change barrels then it's a Ruger #1 all the way.:dancin::banana:
It's been a good gun, fo sho...the daughter killed several deer with it, then we handed it down to my niece. I also have a 12" ported heavy barrel in 30-30 with the pistol grip...it's a blast. I've killed a few does with it, have yet to sight in on a big buck with it, but I'll keep tryin. I have a red dot scope on top, but want to move to a good handgun scope....so I know the deal about the funds!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.