Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Grrrrrrr
29,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old daughter has decided she wants to shoot a deer next year. I am curious to hear some opinions on various youth rifles....

I've been looking at the H&R Handy Rifle, Rossi youth rifle, and of course I know many manufactureres have youth models...Remington...etc.

Who has an H&R? What do you think of them?

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/Youth.asp

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Bought my son the savage youth .243. Little more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. It is a shooter for sure.

[file]80096[/file]

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
[rquote=1480284&tid=103479&author=Marine95]Bought my son the savage .243 for a youth rifle. Little more expensive biu well worth it in my opinion. It is a shooter for sure. [/rquote]

I agree, down here in Kaintuck, an H&R is $225, and a Stevens 200 is less than $300. Seems like an easy choice.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1480284&tid=103479&author=Marine95]Bought my son the savage youth .243. Little more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. It is a shooter for sure.

[/rquote]

x 2 very nice shooter, we had it in synthetic :2thumbsup:

·
2,842 Posts
My 7yr old daughter shot her deer with a H&R .223. I will be buying her, her own H&R .243 super light, 250.00 at Walmart before taxes. MOst gun stores around me want in the 270's

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
My 13 yr old is shooting the H&R 243 Handi Rifle, loves it...so do I! I asked him if he was ready for a new gun and he says he likes his, doesn't want / need a new one. They make 3 sizes, I think the smallest is called the Pardner, then the Handi, then the full size. Great shooting guns.

·
Deer Gear Collecter
3,763 Posts
I chose the Rosi for my kids, simply because you can get it as a rifle/shotgun combo. I have one daughter who loves to turkey hunt, so I killed two birds with one stone. After purchasing it, I found that it is a real good shooter too. Used a borrowed H&R the first year my oldest went hunting, and I have no complaints against it either.

·
27,514 Posts
I bought my son and wife a Rem 700 youth. Got it on sale for $289. I'm not sure what the regular price is. It's quite a good shooter. When my son gets older, he can buy a full size stock of it and is ready to hunt.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I bought my 11 year old daughter the synthetic Stevens 200 in .223 for $299 two years ago and she loves shooting it. There is very little recoil with it and she's used it to down two eight point bucks so far.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've got numerous handis and it's all I hunt. I have one across my lap now. Great guns for a youth the rosis some people like better for there kids because they have the extra safety but I'd definatly go for the hAndi

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Matt has an h&r shotgun, and a rossi .223, both have put down everything he's shot with em so far, no complaints

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1480453&tid=103479&author=buffalo12888] the rosis some people like better for there kids because they have the extra safety but I'd definatly go for the hAndi[/rquote]

That was my thought. Seems to be both of them kill plenty of deer and shoot plenty straight.

The Stevens 200 you guys are talking about doesn't come in a youth model stock, does it? :confused:

Parker

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
[rquote=1480286&tid=103479&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1480284&tid=103479&author=Marine95]Bought my son the savage youth .243. Little more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. It is a shooter for sure.

[/rquote]

x 2 very nice shooter, we had it in synthetic :2thumbsup:[/rquote]

X 3 got the same one only synthetic.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,076 Posts
We've got the H&R and it's a solid shooter. But......I noticed in the BP flyer I got in the mail that the new Rossi Trifecta is on sale this next weekend at BP, with 3 barrels; a 20 guage, a .243, and a .22 for $279.94. It also comes with a cheapie scope and soft gun case.

I don't think you can go wrong with that deal.:eek::

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1480280&tid=103479&author=archer66]My 11 year old daughter has decided she wants to shoot a deer next year. I am curious to hear some opinions on various youth rifles....

I've been looking at the H&R Handy Rifle, Rossi youth rifle, and of course I know many manufactureres have youth models...Remington...etc.

Who has an H&R? What do you think of them?

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/Youth.asp[/rquote]

I don't own a H&R rifle but have a shotgun and its a dang good one too. I think that would be good for a youth. Why not? is the better question.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
The H&R is almost always regarded as the better quality rifle compared to the Rossi brand. I'm sure the Rossi would function just fine though. But I'd get the HR.

For a bit more money, the stevens or a used pre-accutrigger savage might be better (just make sure she can open the bolt to c_ock the gun as they are a bear). Nothing stops you from using it as a single shot.
I'd probably buy a short action and just make her deal with the adult stock just like everyone did in the good ol days. (You can't get a long action because of eye relief on the scope. Adults have a hard enough time with Savage long actions)
But a youth wood stock probably wouldn't be too hard to find if you didn't or couldn't cut the one you had. You just have to make sure if you have a straight or staggered magazine as Savage has made both in recent years.

But there are other bolt action choices as well.
Howa is a good choice too - the bolt is easier to cycle and the safety location is probably easier to switch back and forth. It seems some howas have some accuracy issues out of the box and others are just fine. 2" might be all you can get out it.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
I'm going to purchase the Howa/Hogue in 7mm-08 for my oldest. I figure if he doesn't use it then I will just put the adult stock on and guess what I have a new rifle. That's what I'm talking about!

BTH

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,942 Posts
I have two of the H&R/NEF handi rifles in .243.

Great rifles for kids, or adults. You can get one completely rigged out for about $300-350. Depending on what you do with it. And, the barrel program they have makes them pretty versatile.

My son's loved em, although the oldest has taken over my MK-V in .270 Win... My youngest still likes hunting with his, they have killed several deer with em, including a couple nice ones...

They have the lightweight, 20" barreled synthetic stock versions.

Made in the USA too.:2thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts