Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which rifles and ammunition do your sons and daughters under age 15 use for deer hunting? Please post more information about the models and manufacturers if you want.

·
Registered
947 Posts
started out on a .243 age 6 and used it for 30 years there after. Killed alot of deer with it as well. Just remember its not a brush gun at all. savage model .99 lever action rotary chamber.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grew up in Iowa with a Rem. 870 shotgun and a couple different bows for deer seasons so that's why I started this poll.

From what you guys are teaching me, I'm thinking the .243 will be the leader but I'm curious to see what the 30/30 does in this poll too. Also want to know more about the .270.

I've shot about all of them and can't make up my mind for my sons.

Originally posted by r2ahunter
started out on a .243 age 6 and used it for 30 years there after. Killed alot of deer with it as well. Just remember its not a brush gun at all. savage model .99 lever action rotary chamber.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I started out with a 20 guage and slugs when i was 11. Switched to a 30-30 when i was 13. Never had a problem with the 30-30, but the 20 guage was really too long for me to hold up properly without a rest.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My son 15 has a Winchester Pack rifle in 30/30. He has shot this since he was 13. My daughter who is 14 has a Marlin .44mag lever with ported barrel. She has been shooting this since she was 12. We use cowboy loads for the low recoil. We hunt wooded areas so no shots much over 75yards.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That .44 is an interesting gun. A lot of history there.

Originally posted by MCK9
My son 15 has a Winchester Pack rifle in 30/30. He has shot this since he was 13. My daughter who is 14 has a Marlin .44mag lever with ported barrel. She has been shooting this since she was 12. We use cowboy loads for the low recoil. We hunt wooded areas so no shots much over 75yards.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I started out with a .243...

...about 30 years ago(11 years old at the time). I used it for five years then we stopped hunting PA and stayed at home in OH and used an 870 12ga. Since I live out here now I have used a .25-06 for the past 15 years. Personally, I think the .25-06 is the best deer caliber ever made.

My kids will be shoting it when I start them hunting and I can buy a Ruger #1 in .25-06.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I started deer w/7X57 mauser shooting wheel weights, Started my oldest out on .410 and will probably do the same for the next one. Hard to beat a .410 w/slugs for a newbie.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
i bought the daughter a little six,its a killer five bucks five shots

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
.243 is what I voted for and is a good caliber for young hunters. If I was going to get him or her a caliber they could use for 10 years - now and after they've grown a bit, I'd look at the 25-06, the 7mm08 and the .308. These calibers havel very low recoil, (lower than the .270) and perform very well ballisticly. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Our boy started out with a 30-30 when he was 8. He was good size for his age and the recoil was a little much for him but it was the only option we had at the time and he wanted to hunt. I got him shooting my scoped 22 till he was a crack shot then let him shoot a few rounds with the 30-30 so he could become familiar with it but not too many to where he became recoil sensitive. then we went to the lever action 22mag I have which is very similar to the 30-30 in action, just less recoil and continued practicing.

That all worked fine for him cause like I said, he was a stout lad for his age but our daughter is gonna be a different story. She is small for her age so I am definitely going to have to find her a caliber with the least amount of recoil that will do the job and have it on a gun built for a small frame. The .243 and the 25.06 have been the 2 I have been considering the most with the 243 being the leader in my mind due to it being a more popular round so I figure i will have a better gun selection with it as well as ammo probably more readily available. I've never shot either round personally though and wondered wich has the least amount of recoil and which does more damage to the deer on impact.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
BP, I have a .243 win bolt action. It is very low recoil. I believe the .243 will have less recoil, but the 25-06 will generate more damage to the deer on impact. I know a few folks with 25-06's and they say they are deadly. Of course the placement is key, but with a slightly imperfect hit, I'd prefer the 25-06.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Would you think something like balistic tips on a 243 would be a good idea then for maximum damage on a less than perfect shot? I will definitely have to go with the lowest recoil for her unless she takes a huge growth spurt!

·
Registered
481 Posts
you might try a remington model seven in 6.8 spc

is supposed to be a very light recoiling load with good performance on deer sized game

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
my son and i have been hitting the range every sun for the last month, his shooting from the bench has gotten to be pretty good. we are now going to be moving into target shooting that more resembles actual hunt situations/positions. not to mention the range is getting crowded these days. if we can get out at least three more times i will be thrilled, but i really want him to understand what to do in the field opposed to the range where we have been shooting at. he is completely comfortable with the .243

·
2,828 Posts
We start all our kids out on a Rossi .44 mag rifle. It is light, not front heavy like a bolt rifle, and I hand load for it so it is mild recoil. That said, the .243 is also an excellent choice if the youth can handle a bolt rifle. If you can hand load for it, I really like the performance of the 95 grain ballistic tips. I cringe every time I see someone hand a youngster a 30-30 for their first deer rifle. I owned one for just a little over an hour one time. Shot hard and all over the paper. Boog

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.