Youth Hunt Question

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by DoubleLiver, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DoubleLiver

DoubleLiver Gentry County, NE KS

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    My son is 15 and a non resident. We are bowhunting the weekend of the 21st and will probably hunt the youth firearm the following weekend.

If my son shoots a buck with his bow, can he still shoot a buck with the rifle the following weekend?

2. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,

3. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Believe the rule is only one buck prior to Missouri Rifle opener. Probably post your question in the Ask MDC section.

4. DoubleLiver

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    Thank you. Put the question over there as suggested.

Satch likes this.
  5. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    @ 20' had this issue last year with one of his boys. I believe they clarified the rule to allow youth to kill a archery buck, then also kill a buck during youth rifle season.

DCSarchette, 20' and BustinBucks like this.
  6. techteacher

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I don't agree with this. Maybe it's the law but youth season is to promote youth hunters if they are old enough to bow hunt and shoot a buck they are old enough to wait like the rest of us. I'm sure I will get backlash for that comment but it's my opinion. Don't think it's because I am worried a kid will shoot a buck I could have had a chance at I think it promotes the entitlement mentality kids are so accustomed to these days. I have a lot of friends on this board and they can tell you if I have a stand I am planning on hunting and they call and want to hunt I put myself in the garhole and give them my best spot.

7. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    I understand what you're saying, but would you be in favor of a novice hunter having their own season if they were above the age of 15? Shouldn't they have a chance to kill something with a firearm under the tutelage of an experienced hunter?

8. techteacher

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    Yes I would 100%. I think the season could be youth and apprentice hunters. 1 or 2 years for apprentice hunters.

Haris122 likes this.
  9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Reading the regs I'd say yes, a hunter can take one before firearms season, and one during firearms season, since it is YOUTH FIREARMS SEASON seems to me it's legal. I do think asking in the MDC area is a good idea for a non-opinion answer. While your at it might be worth looking that Youth season used to not have antler restrictions.

Also like the idea of the apprentices being able to hunt also.

10. DoubleLiver

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    My youth will have antler restrictions. He has shot a few 1.5 year olds.

20' likes this.
  11. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    yes, the MDC remedied their major eff up from when they included crossbows last year!

12. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    correct, it plainly and surprisingly clearly states that a youth who kills early archery season can hunt youth season, but the combine total is 2 bucks!

Satch likes this.
  13. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    it must have been a last minute change of heart...

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 12:53 PM

To: Joe Jerek

Subject: Youth Firearms Question

Mr. Jerek,

Did the MDC change the regulation that restricts youth participation during the youth firearms season? The regulation that punished a successful youth age archery hunter who killed a buck with bow was not allowed to attempt to fill their youth firearms tag until the regular firearms season.

Please advise.

Thanks,

His reply:

The regulation remains.

14. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    I'd be fine restricting the youths that killed bucks with a crossbow before youth season

BustinBucks and 20' like this.
  15. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Agree Fullfan, since they used a gun weapon!

Tech, I appreciate your view, but keep in mind that the part of youth premise is to ease the concerns of many moms that think firearms season is a free for all and that the youth only season is a safer option to have kids hunt. IMO, that shouldn't change just because a kid is successful at working hard to master a bow (crossbows not included in this statement) and he/she happens to connect.

For the record, I 100% disagree with a first time adult hunter sharing the youth season....absolutely one of the worst ideas ever, talk about an entitlement!

BustinBucks likes this.
  16. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    this gets my vote for post of the YEAR!!

BustinBucks likes this.
  17. DoubleLiver

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    Over in the other thread the answer was YES, he could shoot a buck archery and a buck during the youth firearm.

20' likes this.
  18. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Then there's your answer.

Just my .02

First a big buck is something that is earned, making restrictions on people to make it easier for someone to kill a big buck just cheapens the deed.

Second if you're running trail cams, scent lock clothes, fastest bow, mechanical broad heads, blazer veins, carbon arrows ect. Do you really have any room to talk about a crossbow, how many griping about a crossbow use an in-line, smokeless powder or a handgun in muzzle loader season?

19. Gmann

Gmann Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Allen, TX
    OK, I'm confused. . .

As adults, we are allowed to kill one buck with a bow and one buck with a rifle, correct? So if I were to kill my buck with a bow the day before rifle season opens, then I can also kill a buck with a rifle the very next day during rifle season.

Yet, if I am understanding what everyone is saying. . . a youth can kill a buck with a bow prior to youth rifle season, but can not kill a buck with a rifle during youth rifle season?

20. DoubleLiver

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    The MDC person says that a youth CAN kill a buck with their bow prior to the first youth firearm season and then also kill a buck during the youth firearm season.