Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that we have discussed this TIME AND TIME again on here, but I've never really paid A LOT of attention before, cause I was not ready to buy a rifle for a kid.

Well.....just like a bought a 20 guage 2 springs ago for kids to use when they go with me, I'm thinking about buying a smaller caliber rifle for kids to use for me to take them deer hunting.

What do you guys think? My first thought is a bull barrel .223.

You guys that have shot deer with a .223.....do you think it'll get the job done?

I know a lot of folks are going to say to go with the .243, but I think that's too much gun for a 9 or 10 year old.

Let the opinions fly!

(I may end up with a .44 similar to yours cfraz....)

Parker

·
Former Chicken Man
20,385 Posts
.243 was my first thought. A .223 will do the job when used by an experienced shooter, but it's definately not a beginner's round.

I don't think the .243 is too large of a caliber for kids. It just depends on whether you give then the experience needed to handle it.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay....I see I'm going to be getting a .243 then. :D

Anyone have experience with the low recoil rounds that they can share with me?

:cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
My daughter shoots a youth 20 gauge 870 and believe me she would rather shoot her 243 bolt action marlin...very little recoil and she always shoots with a rest anyway.
good luck with the buy, you wont look back!

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
All my kids started deer hunting with a .243 Ruger. They still prefer that caliber. Recoil has never been an issue with the .243. They say they can't feel recoil when they shoot that rifle. I think deer in the crosshairs and adrenaline have a lot to do with it. ;)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Originally posted by GoGop
.243 was my first thought. A .223 will do the job when used by an experienced shooter, but it's definately not a beginner's round.

I don't think the .243 is too large of a caliber for kids. It just depends on whether you give then the experience needed to handle it.
What he sad.

·
5,631 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. I wouldn't even go with reduced recoil loads in that caliber. I just don't think they'd be worth it.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
NEF 243 is a great begining round and gun. Good teaching gun and a good shooter too.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
personally i hate the 243 cal i think its the biggest peice of junk ever made the reall 244 (6mm) is the caliber that should have surrived much better than the 243.

now that i am done ranting of the common easy to find ammo you can get the low recoil easy with 243 and its about the best there is for a kid i guess.

i personally started with the 22-250 and killed and still kill alot of deer with mine love to take it out once in a while but its small and shots have to be good.
the 223 isnt enough i don't think

i also don't like the idea of a bull barrel for a kid to heavy i know what your getting at less recoil but the kid needs to be able to hold the gun up and move it.
i think shots for most kids needs to be very limited in range that allows them to have a better chance at a clean kill

i can't believe i am saying it but get a 243 and limit shots to say less than 50 yrds for a beginger

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,292 Posts
Parker, I don't think they make managed-recoil loads for the .243. What I found with my kids shooting a deer rifle is that good ear protection will help them maintain accuracy better than anything. The 'boom' is why most people jump.
You can pick up a handi-rifle for a little over $200.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I think HFFF and I are twins seperated at birf.

I hadn't read this topic till just now but he touched on sumffin very important.

The bull barrel is a BAD choice for a youth. ONe of the biggest challenges most youths have is holding the gun up wiffout sticks. Even a regular weight rifle. Don't go that route.

The 6mm is a great choice, I'm not sure about the little Ruger in .44 but it might be real good because your youth shots are gonna be close. And factory ammo will have little recoil. It's also not very muzzle heavy which will help a youth in the handleing dept.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
I think HFFF and I are twins seperated at birf.

I hadn't read this topic till just now but he touched on sumffin very important.

The bull barrel is a BAD choice for a youth. ONe of the biggest challenges most youths have is holding the gun up wiffout sticks. Even a regular weight rifle. Don't go that route.

The 6mm is a great choice, I'm not sure about the little Ruger in .44 but it might be real good because your youth shots are gonna be close. And factory ammo will have little recoil. It's also not very muzzle heavy which will help a youth in the handleing dept.
My first deer rifle was a Ruger .44 carbine. It put a HAMMER on deer out to 80 yards. 100 yards, the rounds start going into the dirt, but anything closer than 80, they die where they stand. And that round doesn't kick......the problem is finding hot enough loads (pistol rounds won't work) that will work the action.

Parker

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Originally posted by mrclean
.250 Savage (or .250-3000, depending on how old you are) is a good choice. You can get it in the good ol' Savage 99 lever action. Almost no recoil but good downrange performance .
I have one of them made in 1949 and it is a light kicker. Only problem is they are kinda pricey now and the ammo is hard to find. Remington and Winchester make a 100 grain round but the Remington shoots better in mine.

Another thought is a 30-30. I have an old pre-68 Savage bolt action in that caliber and they are always on the auction sites.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.