Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a used Muzzle Loader from member ourway7 and he was nice enough to give me 20 rounds with a soft point and 20 rounds of hollow point sabots.that weigh 300gr. each. I also purchased today a box of TC Shockwave Sabots Bonded 250 Gr. .50 caliber. Ourway7 said the rifle is sighted in with the 300 gr. sabots but I would like to do a little experimenting of my own. My question...What do you use for target practice and what for actual deer hunting. Any dealings with the Shockwave's that I bought? Attached pic is (L to R) 300gr hollowpoint, 300gr softpoint and T/C 250gr Bonded.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bullets

I have used simular bullets to the shockwave 250's I used 100 grains 777 2f loose, not pellet form. Thay did a very good job on Deer, and was very good in the accuracy department There is no such thing to inexpensive ML'er bullets, unless you are casting your own.I have casted 45 cal iber slugs and sized them too 452 diameter and put them in a black sabot and had very good accuracy at a fraction of the cost of factory bullets, and have taken deer with this bullet. but like most of us always strive for that ultimate, super dooper, beats all load, and for some reason am never satisfied. Life use to be so simple years ago had only a few guns and when hunting season rolled around had no problem decieding which I was going to use. Now with so many It is a big decision as to what to hunt with. So many guns so lilttle time, Decisions, Decisions,:soapbox:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just my opinion, but I believe strongly in practicing with the same bullet/load you plan to hunt with.
I personally shoot PowerBelt 295 grain hollow points and/or Aerotips with 100 grains of powder pellets behind it, 209 primer.

I might be wrong, but in my way of thinking, if I wanted to shoot 45 caliber I would have bought a 45 caliber gun. I bought a 50 caliber so I shoot full size bullets, no sabots for me. No problem with accuracy, no problem with dropping a deer. I'm sure others have a strong opinion favoring sabots. Try several different bullets and stay with what works best for you.:cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
i'll play with the sabots and sometimes hunt with them if i hunt a field edge with some distance.but generally i like a big heavy conical when i hunt.but it will slap your shoulder alot more.but those shockwave shoot good out of my optima just got to figure what your new baby likes and stick to her.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I like the polymer tips meself!!! One gun likes the Shockwaves, one gun likes the Hornaday SST's. Knight has a sweet 285 gr boat tail out on the market this year...I have a 10 pack to try out hopefully on thursday!!!

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I use the 295 powerbelts as the company that made my gun recommended them. They are accurate at 100 yards. I load 2 pellets of 777 behind them.

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another question for you guys. I ran across a bargain (I think) on sabots at a local discount store. I bought these sabots unknowing if I can even use them in my .50 caliber Knight. I tried using one of the bullets from the above pics and the whole thing wanted to slide down the barrel with no resistance. Can I use these sabots with another larger bullet?? Or did I waste my $1.99? (Notice the 475 Cal. Bullet printed on the card in the pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Now ya need 475 bullets to fit them. Powerbelts have their own sabot built into the bullet.

·
Registered
21,512 Posts
Well I've heard too much Bad about Power Belt to even take a chance with them.Gave away two packages.

Have had good luck with 240gr.Cheap Shot Sabot.But I'm thinking of changing to 385gr.Great Plains bullet.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes Big.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hey Oneshot!

What have you heard about the Powerbelts? I've used them ever since I got my muzzleloader 3 years ago and never had any complaint (except maybe the price). I'm interested to hear of problems others may have had with them, but my gun seems to like em.:cheers::smiley:

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
21,512 Posts
Originally posted by deer-hunter
What have you heard about the Powerbelts? I've used them ever since I got my muzzleloader 3 years ago and never had any complaint (except maybe the price). I'm interested to hear of problems others may have had with them, but my gun seems to like em.:cheers::smiley:
I've heard they don't expand,then again I've heard they break up.Heard of alot of Deer not going down.
But the price is too far out there compared to the price of a much cheaper Bullet that will do as good or better.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin wouldn't want to be hit with any of it.

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Originally posted by oneshot 1
Well I've heard too much Bad about Power Belt to even take a chance with them.Gave away two packages.

Have had good luck with 240gr.Cheap Shot Sabot.But I'm thinking of changing to 385gr.Great Plains bullet.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes Big.
i love the way the powerbelts shoot for accuracy ,but no way will i hunt with them ever again.here a couple of years ago i shot four bucks with them,none left a blood trail .two i never recovered at all,one i recovered two weeks later and went ahead and looked at his insides the shot placement was fine but very little damge i guess he suffered a long time before dying.the forth one i shot waited three hours because he was with several bucks.went in and threw the light on him and he was still alive but sick.went back in the morning and finished him off there was three drops of blood in his bed that he spent the night in and none leading to him.all the bucks were shot in the shoulder broadside at distances at 40 to 75 yards with 100 grains of powder.the last one had the same amont of damge as the one i found dead earlier.the bullets were still inside with no expansion.but in the same respect for powerbelts a buddy shot one last year basically the same shot i did he ran 75 yards and piled up,we recovered the bullet and and had a perfect mushroom.blood was everywhere and it tore up what it was supposed to.all i know is what i have seen from my time with them and i don't like them .maybe i got a bad batch but i ain't taking a chance:confused:

·
Registered
21,512 Posts
coyotehunter thats what I heard from alot of other Guys.Like I say I'm not going to take a chance.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes lots of lead.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Mailman, when I used to shoot saboted bullets I had real good luck with the flat nosed bullet you have pictured above and two Pyro pellets. Dropped a nice Mule deer at 135 yards with that bullet and load. You can purchase the cheaper sabots and bullets til you get comfortable with your new rifle then go and find yourself a bullet/sabot combo you want to hunt with. I have seen good results from other shooters with the Shockwaves and SSTs. I'll meet you at Cabela's some day if you want to talk about this in person.

Jack

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jack, thanks for the info on the flat nosed round. I think fireman and I are meeting north of I-70 off of 65 hwy at his range on thursday. I haven't heard from him yet on the final time. I do need directions from him to get there tho. I think sometime between 10 am and noon. I managed to pick up everything I need to start this past weekend at the gun show at 87th and I-435 in KC. Got some things at ****'s in Independence. When ever I get accustomed to shooting I'll start to filter through the many choices of bullets for deer hunting. Coyotehunter has got me leary of some of these rounds out there. I require precise accuracy in my hunting and when I do find one that fits the bill I hope it will perform on the animal so that they do not suffer.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Mailman, you have a u2u...if I don't forget it, I'll bring along a polymer tip bullet I recovered from my buck last fall....VERY good expansion, and weight retention...bullet did it's job, he ran maybe 40-50 yds!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.