Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need some help/advice

i have several land owners that have been kind enough to allow me to hunt there land

i am always appericative of this pick up all our shells never drive in feilds when we will leave tracks or anything like that we try to leave the feilds were no one can even tell we were there if at all possible

the problem is some of these farmers would or do allow others to hunt there land to...

as many of you know this can easily result in a feild being burnt out so far i haven't ever had any issues with any of the other folks hunting and most the land owners require a check in so only one group is there any given day.

a few of these spots are really good and i would like to keep them and be the only group there....
so is there any way go about accomplishing this?
just keep being a nice guy? offer mr farmer some cash for a exclusive lease? or am i just being greedy and risking loosing the spots?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
to be real honest with you.....although money is good, i use more thoughtful gifts like a package of t-bones or a ham, i have also gave gift cards to places such as golden corral and other places where you know they will get good out of. money is nice however it doesnt get the personal feel that the other gifts do.......and trust me ive got ALOT of exclusive "leases" for giving something other than cash.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes we do that too always take a nice gift at the end of season be in a gift card to take the family out to dinner or a big ole bottle of sprits something fitting and nice just wondering what else i can do

it would suck if some of these spots get ruined for all of us because of being over hunted

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,172 Posts
Buy him a HAM ....OFFER to help with fence work ,wood cutting .....but still thats a hard one to bring up to just alllow your group

·
Registered
916 Posts
You could get to know the "other guys" and ask when they hunt. Then you could take turns. I know we all would like to be the only ones to hunt a spot but if you don't own your land than you have to take what you can get.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I like to give a jar of fresh Ozark's honey & an offer to help with any chores they might have.

·
2,644 Posts
Try to butter him up!!! Nothin worse than a good place getting ruined by people over hunting it. I try to get all of my spots exclusive and I am up-front about that when I ask. Tell them why you would like it that way and alot of them sem to understand.

Try gift cards to restaurants in the area or something. If you get him and the wife dinner, you get her off his back and you get in better with him because of it:)

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
IMO very Greedy... Would try and find out who the other group is, they may be thinking the same thing. Would be pretty crappy if the other group only gets to hunt a few times a season and gets kicked out of there only spot because you are worried that it MAY be overhunted. Find out who they are, if they are jerks, then feel good trying to push them out, otherwise, consider that maybe they are some good guys looking for a place to take there kids out a couple times a year without going to a duck park or driving 3 hrs one way.

that said.:D I agree with giving the landowner a ham or something, probably a good idea to help keep access in the future. I would consider getting info from th eother hunters so you can coordinate when the field is hunted a little better though.:cheers:

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
IMO, nothing wrong with tactfully trying to have it exclusive. If the other parties don't repect the properties to the same degreee you do their actions could eventually wear on the land owner and get everyone's privileges revoked.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
[rquote=1533341&tid=106693&author=20 feet high]IMO, nothing wrong with tactfully trying to have it exclusive. If the other parties don't repect the properties to the same degreee you do their actions could eventually wear on the land owner and get everyone's privileges revoked.[/rquote]

Who said the other party isnt being as respectful? IF they arent, then heck yah get them out. But there has been no evidence of that, heck, they check in so after each hunt the hunter will know who left a mess or rutted up the field.

I just dont much care for the man who throws the most money at a farmer getting exclusive access to property that someone else (who may have been hunting the property for years) also enjoys. I guess if you want to assume they are jerks that is fine, but they may be really nice people doing what this website is doing. Getting kids and dissabled out in the fields. I have access to property that I LOVE taking out my nephews, and if someone came to that farmer and offered him a bunch of money, my young nephews may not be hunting much if any anymore. Hopefully I could find another piece of property, but who knows how long that would take, and who knows if that same guy would see it and go buy that farmer out too. :lame:

·
27,514 Posts
From what your wrote, HFFF, the other parties are being respectful of the property just as you are. If the farmer doesn't mind them hunting,then I don't see there is much you can do.

·
2,644 Posts
Its about him not wanting hunting spots ruined. Its not greedy its called smart hunting. Dorn burn your spots out so they stay good. People do it all the time all over the country...with deer, turkey, duck's, pheasants everything. How can it be greedy for him to want his hunting spots fresh so he can use the money he spent on all his gear and everyhting in more successful outings. Thats what its all about...thats why we buy new calls, new decoys, new blinds...etc ITS ALL ABOUT BEING MORE SUCCESSFUL IN THE TRIPS AFIELD

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
[rquote=1533441&tid=106693&author=goosekilla] Its about him not wanting hunting spots ruined. Its not greedy its called smart hunting. Dorn burn your spots out so they stay good. People do it all the time all over the country...with deer, turkey, duck's, pheasants everything. How can it be greedy for him to want his hunting spots fresh so he can use the money he spent on all his gear and everyhting in more successful outings. Thats what its all about...thats why we buy new calls, new decoys, new blinds...etc ITS ALL ABOUT BEING MORE SUCCESSFUL IN THE TRIPS AFIELD[/rquote]

Why cant he try to work with the other guys first then? Does he have to Bribe the landowner into kicking out the people that he knows nothing about so he can have success in the field.
I guess I am to nice, maybe that will hurt my hunting, but atleast I will have a clear conscience knowing that either I kicked some jerks out that I know DESERVED it or I shot a few less birds so that some other nice people who work as hard as I do and take there kids into the field could shoot a few too.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quite interesting converstaion i am enjoying the different opinions. :D

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
we have had the same thing happen to us. But The BEST thing to do is to be friends with the farmer and hunt with them:D
Im lucky enough that one of my best hunting buddy farms 2500 acres and of that ground it is where the geese always want to be.....

I am just lucky i suppose

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
my thoughts were everywhere, I'll summarize my opinion in order to keep people from possible misunderstanding me.

- In order to keep access to the land, do what you have been doing (cleaning up, etc.) Giving a gift such as a ham or something to show gratitude is a great idea.

- the question about pushing out the other hunters so you can have the field to yourself - IMHO, get the other hunters contact info. talk to them, mayb ethey dont hunt often and you can coordinate before heading out in the morning. Maybe you'll become friends and hunt together. Personally I dont much care for trying to push them out unless they are unwilling to work to keep the field "fresh" and clean. Then if you want them out there is probably nothing you can do unless they are damaging property or you want to out bid them for making the property lease property AND the farmer isnt already buddy buddy/family with the others.

:cheers:

·
Grrrrrrr
30,041 Posts
It is difficult to find private land to hunt and once you have it it is a precious thing to be protected for sure. You are doing the right thing to leave the place at least as good as you found it. As far as sharing with other hunters goes, well that's a tough one. One problem is that you don't know what the relationship between the landowner and the other hunters is. If you try to get between that and get the other party removed you may find yourself the one removed. My opinion is that if you are hunting for free the best you can do is talk to the other parties and work together to not burn the place out and to keep it in good shape. If you want it exclusive you will most likely need to pay cash...as it should well be.

I have a couple stories that show poor cooperation between hunting parties on private land...both times I was the victim of some bad behaviour, both times I let it go but for different reasons.

Story 1:

I had permission on 150 acres right next to the 130 my uncle owns giving me 280 acres of crops and crp. On the 150 next door there were two other guys who had permission, one of which isn't a good person (legal troubles etc) but was a good friend of the landowner who is an elderly man (now deceased). Any how the other guys and I were working around each other pretty well I thougt. I had one stand hung on a finger of timber that juts out into a crop field. This spot was really good for all seasons because it was a travel route and pinch point for deer coming up the finger and for deer passing along the edge of the crop field. Went to hunt it one day and found my stand gone. I went home and called the landowner, told him what was up and asked for the phone numbers of the the other guys. He said he would call the other guys for me and ask if they had seen anyone. Well 3 or 4hours later my phone rings and it's they guy I was talking about that had the legal issues. He says he was there two days ago and had seen a stand like mine hanging in the gas right of way. He went on to say that he had an aluminum ladder leaning against the old combine on the lane and that I could use it to get my stand down if I wanted too. Well I had walked down that lane that morning in full daylight and had looked right at that old combine and there wasnt' any aldder there. I had also walked down that right of way and hadn't seen any stand. So I go out there and sure enough theres the ladder with wet mud all over the rungs. I pick it up and carry it to the right of way and sure enough theres my stand, right on the edge of the right of way, no tree steps, and it's a chain on stand that is just slopped onto the tree with a huge grapevine behind it...no way a person could get in it without falling...well it's pretty clear at this point what happened. The dude got a call from the landowner and ran out there and stuck my stand in a tree and called me. So I took my stand down and went to the landowners house and told hiim what happened and that I had my stand back. He says "It was him that took it wasn't it? I say sure looks like it." The landowner went on to say that he and the theif had been friends for years. The other guy still hunts there and I'll never go back. No way in the world I'll share a place with a guy like that.

Second story:

My uncle and I had a premission to duck hunt on a terrific duck pond about 5 miles from Ted Shanks. We had some tremendous duck shoots on the place about an 8 acre natural pond only 3 or 4 foot deep. We hunted it for years with no problems, then in 2008 my uncle gets a call from the landowner. Turns out someone had went down there and set up a huge blind and huge decoy spread and the landowner wanted to know if it was ours or a tresspasser. Well it wasn't ours but my uncle knew who's it was...(happened to be a neighbor who takes care of my uncles dogs whenever my uncle goes out of town). My uncle didn't want to tell on the guy so he didn't say anything. So the landowner goes down there and put up a sighn that said "get your stuff outta here within the week or I'm calling the sherrif. The spread and blind get removed and all is well. So now flip to 2009. The tresspasser called the landowner and leased the place out from under us. Since my uncle didn't tell on the guy, the landowner never knew it was him that tresspassed and we lost the place.

I know this is long but both cases really illustrate the politics that can go into private land hunting access.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.