Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 7.22.11 AM.png
Wife and I moved down from Alaska a couple years ago to the Ozarks and bought 162 acres to hunt deer. The property is largely timber, with interspersed glades, and is divided in half by a little used county road: 80 acres to the north, 80 to the south. We have 15 ladder stands set up pretty much equally throughout the property, and which are hunted fairly evenly. We hunt the property about 20-25 hours each week on the average, each of us sitting 4 times each. We are very conscientious about accessing stands, hunting the wind, scent control. I know there are many variables in this equation, but generally speaking on a scale of 1 to 10 (a 1 being little to no pressure), what level of pressure is this in your opinion? THANKS for your time and thoughts.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
If you are taking cautious approaches to stands and hunting the proper winds that might not be too much. If I had that kind of time , I would rest it every time the weather or wind wasnt good. 02

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Time of year makes a huge difference on how much pressure you can get away with. Heat of the chase phase, you can put a lot more time in the stand & bump deer with the least amount of lasting damage, education. Bucks primarily have one thing in mind & the does are likely not in her core range if she's being pushed hard. Early season, when there's lots of cover, less pressure, but can still hunt quite a bit. Late season and pre rut are the 2 times of year I try to use the most caution of how & when I hunt.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think if you invested in a little infrastructure by dozing a perimeter road you could get away with more. I hunt from the outside on my land. We are fortunate and can access one farm all the way around from the neighbors. Our stands are largely on the perimeter. If you can manage ingress/egresss to the stand, you can get a way with a lot of hunting. I don't chance the wind, which sucks when you have 10 days of south in a row!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if you invested in a little infrastructure by dozing a perimeter road you could get away with more. I hunt from the outside on my land. We are fortunate and can access one farm all the way around from the neighbors. Our stands are largely on the perimeter. If you can manage ingress/egresss to the stand, you can get a way with a lot of hunting. I don't chance the wind, which sucks when you have 10 days of south in a row!
Wow amazing you mention that! There IS a perimeter road all the way around the border of the property, which we use all the time. I didn't think of it when I wrote this post, so I'm glad you mentioned this as an important factor. You can see the cabin in the middle left of the picture, and from there, we can walk the entire road down the middle to access stands relatively close to the road, and/or use the perimeter road to access farther locations. Thanks for your input swat1018!

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
View attachment 184829 Wife and I moved down from Alaska a couple years ago to the Ozarks and bought 162 acres to hunt deer. The property is largely timber, with interspersed glades, and is divided in half by a little used county road: 80 acres to the north, 80 to the south. We have 15 ladder stands set up pretty much equally throughout the property, and which are hunted fairly evenly. We hunt the property about 20-25 hours each week on the average, each of us sitting 4 times each. We are very conscientious about accessing stands, hunting the wind, scent control. I know there are many variables in this equation, but generally speaking on a scale of 1 to 10 (a 1 being little to no pressure), what level of pressure is this in your opinion? THANKS for your time and thoughts.
I shoot you straight. You're pounding the place to death. It's only 160 acres, and there's a road right thru the middle. That's nothing in Whitetails world. Not enough to keep deer on your property exclusively. You will still see does and a few small bucks. But there are only a couple weeks that deer hunting is any good. Halloween til 3rd week of Nov. You only have 3 weeks worth hunting, so stay out of the woods until then. If you need more "opportunity", hunt public ground, or go fishing, or squirrel hunting, or fall turkey hunting, or something. 160ac needs no more than 4 stands, 6 absolute max. There aren't any more good stand locations than that, and you're just putting stands in the woods to fill in the gaps at this point. You have no sanctuary area that you are never setting foot in. You're place is too small to provide them much, so security is gonna be the biggest thing you could provide. Stay out of the woods until end of Oct. Hang some cameras and figure out what's going on without ever setting foot on your place. Do any work in late winter after season closes. Feed them some corn from Jan-Mar. but as it sits, you have a stand in basically every 10ac, and that's as heavy as hunting pressure could possibly be.

·
Registered
14,151 Posts
You can answer your own question. How many deer are you seeing?

I'd hunt every day if I could, let the deer activity determine if I keep hitting the same area. Of course depending on wind and other factors.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
I shoot you straight. You're pounding the place to death. It's only 160 acres, and there's a road right thru the middle. That's nothing in Whitetails world. Not enough to keep deer on your property exclusively. You will still see does and a few small bucks. But there are only a couple weeks that deer hunting is any good. Halloween til 3rd week of Nov. You only have 3 weeks worth hunting, so stay out of the woods until then. If you need more "opportunity", hunt public ground, or go fishing, or squirrel hunting, or fall turkey hunting, or something. 160ac needs no more than 4 stands, 6 absolute max. There aren't any more good stand locations than that, and you're just putting stands in the woods to fill in the gaps at this point. You have no sanctuary area that you are never setting foot in. You're place is too small to provide them much, so security is gonna be the biggest thing you could provide. Stay out of the woods until end of Oct. Hang some cameras and figure out what's going on without ever setting foot on your place. Do any work in late winter after season closes. Feed them some corn from Jan-Mar. but as it sits, you have a stand in basically every 10ac, and that's as heavy as hunting pressure could possibly be.
Damn dude, I'm glad I'm smarter than to pay attention to all that. I see you're one of those guys who believes a good buck runs completely out of the country when it encounters a human.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Damn dude, I'm glad I'm smarter than to pay attention to all that. I see you're one of those guys who believes a good buck runs completely out of the country when it encounters a human.
Never said anything like that. But if you think they won't avoid human activity and don't know every single time you're in the woods, then you ain't as smart as you think. It's been well documented that hunting pressure has the biggest effect on deer activity other than the rut. The older a deer gets, the smarter he gets. It really all depends on what the OPs personal goals are. I've watched this exact scenario play out over the last 10yrs on multiple pieces of property. My FIL has a best friends who is extremely wealthy and owns a LOT of land. Because none of his friends can agree on how to hunt, he has essentially divided them up. One place is 800+ ac with about 15 stands. Another is 325ish ac and has about a dozen stands. The smaller piece has a nice cabin with all the amenities, pool table, satellite TV, etc. They are there all the time. They have a fun time. They shoot a ton of deer. It's like hunting in a park. A dozen corn feeders with elevated box stands 20yds away. Four wheeler trails to each stand. As well manicured and easy to hunt as possible. Haven't killed a mature buck in years and years, and the last one got walked up by accident during the rut. The 800ac piece isn't much different. Sure, it has some big mature bucks, but good luck seeing them during the daylight anywhere near a "developed" area.

Reactions: LarryAK

·
just a no body
14,570 Posts
I agree with Ninja .we have 160 and hardly ever hunt unless the wind is just soo and it does not take much to over pressure it. We have guest that comes every year from Virginia. He hunts it hard for a week and really does not hunt smart, it takes 3 weeks for things to get back to normal and those 3weeks we dont even think about going out unless its just right behind the house

·
Blonde Bearded Guy
8,390 Posts
Depends on 'pressure'. If you are bumping deer on your way in/out a lot, deer are winding you and blowing each hunt, it will take a toll. If you happen to be getting in/out pretty clean I think you can hunt as much as you want. If you are still seeing just as much deer movement, who cares.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
The only cases I’ve seen where you can hunt a lot, and basically fields where you can drive straight to the field and slip down an edge or fence line into a stand. Maybe have someone drive in to get you. But in the timber, they KNOW you’re there. Even if you don’t think they do. A big buck isn’t gonna wind you, blow and flag and run like hell. He’s gonna tuck tail and slip out, and never come back to that spot during daylight again for a good while unless a hot doe drags him by.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,708 Posts
Never said anything like that. But if you think they won't avoid human activity and don't know every single time you're in the woods, then you ain't as smart as you think. It's been well documented that hunting pressure has the biggest effect on deer activity other than the rut. The older a deer gets, the smarter he gets. It really all depends on what the OPs personal goals are. I've watched this exact scenario play out over the last 10yrs on multiple pieces of property. My FIL has a best friends who is extremely wealthy and owns a LOT of land. Because none of his friends can agree on how to hunt, he has essentially divided them up. One place is 800+ ac with about 15 stands. Another is 325ish ac and has about a dozen stands. The smaller piece has a nice cabin with all the amenities, pool table, satellite TV, etc. They are there all the time. They have a fun time. They shoot a ton of deer. It's like hunting in a park. A dozen corn feeders with elevated box stands 20yds away. Four wheeler trails to each stand. As well manicured and easy to hunt as possible. Haven't killed a mature buck in years and years, and the last one got walked up by accident during the rut. The 800ac piece isn't much different. Sure, it has some big mature bucks, but good luck seeing them during the daylight anywhere near a "developed" area.
Go read my first post in this thread if you want my real hunting strategy.

My farm is 150ish acres & I've lost count how many stands I have on the place. Granted, some never get hunted in a year, some get hunted everyday during the peek of the rut.

Best advice for killing mature deer I was ever given, this time of year, hunt the does. Know where the does want to be & where they go when they get pressured by bucks & want to hide.

I've spent 15 years developing some of the thickest cover you'll ever find on a NE mo property. I know where the does hide from bucks during the chase phase & I will hunt those stands daily this time of year with the right wind.

Yes, bucks will change their patterns based on human activity, but they usually won't leave a property that meets their needs food & doe wise. That said, a hot doe trumps everything, even a human walking right at them. I've walked right up on more than one mature buck tending a doe that never seen me & he won't leave, no matter what. This time of year, many of the rules I live by in the pursuit of mature bucks, goes out the window.

Learn your pinch points of a property & set stands for those pinch points. All deer for years, will use those same pinch points.

·
Blonde Bearded Guy
8,390 Posts
The only cases I've seen where you can hunt a lot, and basically fields where you can drive straight to the field and slip down an edge or fence line into a stand. Maybe have someone drive in to get you. But in the timber, they KNOW you're there. Even if you don't think they do. A big buck isn't gonna wind you, blow and flag and run like hell. He's gonna tuck tail and slip out, and never come back to that spot during daylight again for a good while unless a hot doe drags him by.
I missed the verbiage where he was looking to kill big elusive mature bucks. I read he bought the acreage to hunt deer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go read my first post in this thread if you want my real hunting strategy.

My farm is 150ish acres & I've lost count how many stands I have on the place. Granted, some never get hunted in a year, some get hunted everyday during the peek of the rut.

Best advice for killing mature deer I was ever given, this time of year, hunt the does. Know where the does want to be & where they go when they get pressured by bucks & want to hide.

I've spent 15 years developing some of the thickest cover you'll ever find on a NE mo property. I know where the does hide from bucks during the chase phase & I will hunt those stands daily this time of year with the right wind.

Yes, bucks will change their patterns based on human activity, but they usually won't leave a property that meets their needs food & doe wise. That said, a hot doe trumps everything, even a human walking right at them. I've walked right up on more than one mature buck tending a doe that never seen me & he won't leave, no matter what. This time of year, many of the rules I live by in the pursuit of mature bucks, goes out the window.

Learn your pinch points of a property & set stands for those pinch points. All deer for years, will use those same pinch points.
Pinwheel I appreciate your measured opinion very much and will take your advice to heart. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I missed the verbiage where he was looking to kill big elusive mature bucks. I read he bought the acreage to hunt deer.
That's the part where I said it all depends on the OPs personal goals. But everybody wants to kill big elusive monster matoor bucks....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts