Your honest opinion please...

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Rebel2, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    A few days ago i was tossing around some ideas and came up with this one.. adding some grey into the painting.. similar to twigs, limbs etc.. After painting it grey i took a sponge roller and did some black over it.. wrapped it, shot it tan, rolled on a bit of brown, wrapped it shot it brown, then rolled some grey on it.. wrapped it and shot it green and then rolled some tan on it..

What do you honestly thing? Crapola? get rid of anything? You aint gonna hurt my feelings, so please be brutally honest..

2. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I like the black on the gray and a little tan on brown. Personally I don't care for the looks of tan or gray specks on green. It doesn't matter what I like though. What do you like???

3. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    i like the idea but i also dont like the specks but what do i know hope you enjoy it

4. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Yea, ou're the one shooting it. Looks like it would work though.

5. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    It will work! That is all that's important! :cheers:

6. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Here is my take on CAMO, does it hide the weapon from your intended prey? Do you like the look? If the answers to both questions is yes there you have it.

7. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    If its for turkey, I don't like the grey added. There's not near as many greys in the spring as there is in the winter or fall.

It looks AWEFULLY busy.

Just my .02.

Parker

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I think Center Punch has the right idea. If your gun/clothing/boots or face blends with the background at 40 yards that is the color to go with. There is so many different types of camo out there now days. You have to match the camo of the gun and your clothing to the surroundings that you will be hunting in. Actually......I don't really think a turkey knows what a gun looks like. It is the hunters movement that alerts them to danger. I've called them up prescouting in jeans and white T-shirt. Sure they looked at me funny but as long as I didn't move they hung around checking me out. There is 101 different ways to camo yourself and your weapon of choice.

9. jshull4105

jshull4105 New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Odessa MO
    I think it is a pretty good scheme. It breaks the colors up, and that is the point.

Would you be intrested in painting one for me U2U me if so.

10. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

I agree with Parker ~ lose the gray. I'd go for a white/gray scheme, but only for use as winter/snow camo.

And I don't much care for the sponge-roller effect, neither...less is more, if you know what I mean.

Brutal enough for ya'?! :D

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Awesome, thanks ya'll.... i do appreciate your comments.. i only painted the butt stock on one of mah old winchester rangers, its my test dummy..

Its not really for turkey, i was thinking it more of a fall paint scheme, and yep its crazy busy for sure... at first thought I was all man thats WAY to busy.. but then i grabbed some realtree somethin or other and talk about bussssy..

I personally dont like all the specks on all the colors, thats my dislikes... I wanted to add some grey or something in to simulate tree limbs, as well as be "different" per say then the other ones... ive got a couple other ideas up in ye old head will try out .. gonna work on adding some leaves to the pattern..

jshull id be glad ta paint one for ya bro.. ill u2u ya :cheers:

Again, thanks everyone... if anyone has any idears bouncing around in their head but didnt wanna mess up a gun.. ill be glad ta try er out on my test dummy gun..

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Rebel, by the time yer done that gun's gonna weigh 20 lbs.:D I also don't use gray but try to stick to the browns and greens with a little black and tan. I want the camo job to be versatile for Fall or Spring.

Jack

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Thanks Jack :cheers:

prolly more then 20 pounds.. i think shes up to 18 right now.. but naw, once im satisfied, ill sand her down and repaint it.

14. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Rebel, I cut stenciles from different leaf patterns for my camo paint jobs. I've done a number of guns this way and they turn out pretty good. I'd post a pic but for some reason I can't upload a pic from my camera to the computer right now.:mad2:

Jack

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Well wheneva ya get er working, id love to see some pics... Ive been thinking and planning on doing some stencils... Im very, whats the word, anal about doing things... if i dont like how it is, ill keep doing it until i am. I just havent decided on size and what to make the stencils out of that will not only hold up, but be flexible to go around the various parts of guns.

16. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Or you? I heard a story one time :bangin:

BTW, I like it.

17. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I use those thin plastic separators that you find in kid's school notebooks.

Jack

18. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    ahhhhh good idear jack

19. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I like to use oak and maple leaves because they have so many edges and patterns. With the gun in a horizontal postion I postion the stencils some leaves are pointing upwards and some downwrds and at a slight angle forwards. Just like leaves are in nature.

Jack