Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Young Huntsville angler catches first state-record yellow perch
Isaac Bohm of Huntsville is the first angler to catch a state-record yellow perch using alternative methods in Missouri.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) congratulates Isaac Bohm, 13, of Huntsville, on catching the first state-record yellow perch taken by alternative methods. Bohm caught the fish at a private pond in Randolph County May 11 using a trotline. Weighing in at 10-ounces, it is the first yellow perch that has met the minimum weight requirement set by MDC's Master Angler Award. The yellow perch's weight was verified on a certified scale in Moberly.

When there are open state records, MDC refers to the minimum requirements set by its Master Angler Award. For more information, visit https://bit.ly/2JGC8jz.

"I was very excited when I learned that it'd be a state record because that's been my goal," said Bohm. "I caught a yellow perch last year, but I was just a fraction of an ounce off the state's minimum requirement."

Bohm said this catch is fueling him to obtain more state-record titles.

"I'm definitely going to keep trying to catch more state-record fish," Bohm declared. "I think I'm going to mount it and probably keep it as my trophy."

Missouri state-record fish are recognized in two categories: pole-and-line and alternative methods. Alternative methods include: throwlines, trotlines, limb lines, bank lines, jug lines, spearfishing, snagging, snaring, gigging, grabbing, archery, and atlatl. For more details on state-record fish, visit the MDC website at http://bit.ly/2efq1vl .

MDC congratulates Isaac Bohm on being the first state record holder for yellow perch using alternative methods.

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Records are falling faster than Sosa, McGuire, and Bonds era

· Registered
8,049 Posts

· Registered
1,602 Posts
I got 150 of those stocked in the new pond a month ago maybe I'll be the next one to break that record in 5 years. Curious to how they will hold up in the warm water since their primary a colder water fish.

· Registered
1,602 Posts
Where and how do you get them for stocking? Do they reproduce in ponds? About as tasty of fish as there is.
I got my fish stocked from beemer fisheries in Bedford Iowa. Talked to the guy about stocking and what my plans were for the pond and he recommended them. As for reproducing I'm not sure about that, I'm assuming they do since we put a small number of them in 150. I just worry about them surviving the warm water you don't hear much about them this far south.

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Admittedly has deeper and colder water, but I've heard they have become well established down in Norfolk or bull shoals. I've heard people catch really huge ones 2 pounds plus. I dont think anyone knows how they got there.

· Where'd the quail go?
262 Posts
Where and how do you get them for stocking? Do they reproduce in ponds? About as tasty of fish as there is.
I got mine from a guy that sells fish. He's based out of St Louis. I went with smallmouth bass also. Both the yellow perch and smallmouth have reproduced in my pond. It's as far north as Mark Twain lake, and is pretty shaded so it stays pretty cool all summer.
I think I remember the hatchery in Perry MO carrying yellow perch last year. They are absolutely delicious and you can clean them in 1/10th the time it takes me to clean a bluegill.

Edit, I put smallmouth in with mine. I had read where they don't do well in a pond with largemouth bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.