You have a 170 Class or Above Buck! What do you do!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by northmobigbuck, Nov 7, 2010.

1. northmobigbuck

northmobigbuck New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Carroll County Mo
    You have a 170 or above and you know where he is! With a week left in bow season, do you move in and hope not to jump him! The stand is only 15 or so yards where he has been hanging around.

A) Move in and take the Chance?
    B) Wait until you have the Cannon in your hands?

I all ready know what I am going to do, but thought it would be fun to ask!!

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I'd go after him. I can't eat antlers, but a deer steak or two would be nice!

3. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    If you know where he's at now then be aggressive and move in on him. It only takes on hot doe to pull him totally out of the area.

4. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Look at all the wounded and lost deer threads on here every year:mad2::mad2: and wait it out for the rifle season. If you've got him pinned down where he'll be, why take the chance on wounding him and maybe losing him?

5. northmobigbuck

northmobigbuck New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Carroll County Mo
    He has does in there with him all ready! This am a smaller buck was walking towards the timber where he was and did not get 20 yards from the timber and he ran out and ran off the smaller buck! Little more info!!

6. bowhuntKS

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1884008&tid=131230&author=glennasher1]Look at all the wounded and lost deer threads on here every year:mad2::mad2: and wait it out for the rifle season. If you've got him pinned down where he'll be, why take the chance on wounding him and maybe losing him?[/rquote]

So people don't wound deer with rifles?

Deer get wounded and/or lost with any and all weapons each year.

7. bowhuntKS

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1884009&tid=131230&author=northmobigbuck]He has does in there with him all ready! This am a smaller buck was walking towards the timber where he was and did not get 20 yards from the timber and he ran out and ran off the smaller buck! Little more info!![/rquote]

It's a tuff call but I've still never seen a buck that stayed in the same piece of timber for a week straight during the rut...not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it.

8. Put ou some corn to draw the does in. Then light him up about 2 in the mornin and crack him! Lol :D

9. mag1

mag1 Active Member

Go after him, he may decide to leave and then you would be kickin yourself. That would be a nice trophy with your bow.:banana-man-yeah:

10. bowhuntKS

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1884017&tid=131230&author=Chad]Put ou some corn to draw the does in. Then light him up about 2 in the mornin and crack him! Lol :D[/rquote]

My cams are telling me they're moving more around 3:30 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. no sense getting up at 2...

11. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

It depends for me, if I am close, I just stick it out. Keep hunting him with a bow now and continue to do so with a gun. When he starts bumping does he is bound to end up everywhere close to where you have him pinned down. I would not risk the chance of going all in and spooking him...he may be right back, or you may never see him again. If that is his core area, then you always have a chance with the gun or afterwards with a muzzleloader or bow. :cheers:

12. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    If i knew for sure were a big one was id go after him before the gun season opener and he got run off the property to someone else shooting lane

13. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Wind? Speed? Direction?

14. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1884007&tid=131230&author=bowhuntKS]If you know where he's at now then be aggressive and move in on him. It only takes on hot doe to pull him totally out of the area.[/rquote]

This time of year, unless that immediate area is full of hot does, he's not going to stay there for long & might not make it back to that spot again for another week.

15. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    [rquote=1884008&tid=131230&author=glennasher1]Look at all the wounded and lost deer threads on here every year:mad2::mad2: and wait it out for the rifle season. If you've got him pinned down where he'll be, why take the chance on wounding him and maybe losing him?[/rquote]

Ridicilous statement!!!!! So your against bow hunting??? Hunters are supposed to stick together. You are no better than him or anybody else that bowhunts.. Remember that!

16. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Go get him. 1. I'd rather kill that kind of buck with a bow and 2. Only a matter of time until he moves on looking for more hot does an someone else takes him home

17. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    [rquote=1884197&tid=131230&author=Hoytshooter]Go get him. 1. I'd rather kill that kind of buck with a bow and 2. Only a matter of time until he moves on looking for more hot does an someone else takes him home[/rquote]

X2!!!!

18. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    ya alot of guys lose deer on here with a bow, but theres alot of guys that dont. ive only lost one and that was because i switched broadheads, because i listened to all the hype on the new thing out,switched back to spitfires and aint ever lost one . if you dont bowhunt you wont understand anyways,and i know no deer has ever been lost to a rifle!!!!!!!

19. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    i'd get after em with a bow.....not too often you can (pin) down a big bucks whereabouts take advantage of the situation and run an arrow through him!!!!!!

20. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=1884007&tid=131230&author=bowhuntKS]If you know where he's at now then be aggressive and move in on him. It only takes on hot doe to pull him totally out of the area.[/rquote]

Agree, he might be 10 miles away in a week, he may be right ther! The chase/hunt is the fun part!