Year old Beagle, where to hunt rabbits NW Missouri

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by recurve, Dec 27, 2017.

1. recurve

recurve New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I have a beagle that I got as a pup a year ago. I figure its now or never to give him a try on some rabbits. I haven't done anything to train him but I'm figuring he either has it or doesn't. I haven't been out with a longbow to hunt rabbits in 10 years but I figured it would be fun to give it a try again. Wondering if anyone had recommendations of where to go around KC area. I've been to Bilby Ranch previously but it was a long time ago. Platte Falls has some brush piles but I've never seen too many rabbits out there. I see Nodaway Valley and Fountain Groves have good rabbit populations listed in the MDC atlas descriptions. I've never been to either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CK

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Don't know the area, but if you can find someone with a few dogs that know what they are doing I think it would help the pup a lot. Just my .02

TATER and WBF like this.

3. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Should have already been introduced to rabbits IMO. If it isn't already tracking it'll be tough with it being this cold. I agree you need to run it with another dog to start.

4. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    Pony express, bonanza, Elam bend, there’s a smaller place just south of Plattsburg, and Smithville lake areas. I’d try Elam if you’re willing to drive that far.

5. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Billy ranch. Bob Brown. Nodaway Valley.

6. daniel chrisman

daniel chrisman New Member

Nov 6, 2017
    we used to do really well at bonanza and gallatin but have'nt been up there in several years now

7. City boy

City boy New Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Feed him some roadkill before you go out