Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at the NRCS office a couple of weeks ago to sign up for an EQUIP plan. While there we were talking about the NWSG I planted last spring. I told the I had some grass show up here and there this summer, but a lot of weeds and such too. They reccomended I burn sometime in March to get rid of the trash. They said the burn would release the NWSG.

I'm pretty sure I've seen on here not to burn early as this could damage the young NWSG.

Any suggestions?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
When we established ours, I was advised for the first year, & even into the second growing season, to mow just above the height of the wsg so the competing weeds wouldn't out compete it.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I think if that grass were enrolled in one of their plans, they would have told you that you could not burn it until the third year. I have had good enough success with that on my cp33's that I would stick with it even on non program acres.(.02) Mow it like pw sudgested and don't worry about it, it will be there in a couple of more years.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1567145&tid=108908&author=jaytee]Whats your goal for the NWSG? Hay, habitat, both?[/rquote]

It's crp acreage (5 acres worth), bedding area for deer and nesting for the birds.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I wouldn't burn yet either. How much trashy weeds do you have? Are they even thick enough to burn? I didn't burn mine until the third year. worked good for the nwsg, not so good for the trees that were planted with it.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Do you have to keep the weeds out of it as per the contract? If not, then I'd leave it alone as weed seeds provide LOTS of food for the quail and other birds. NWSG can get way to thick and it doesn't take much to get that way. I read somewhere the other day, think it was the Covey Headquarters news letter that ideal quail habitat is something like one NWSG clump every 5 or so square feet with the rest being weeds and bare ground.

·
Registered
18,796 Posts
[rquote=1567520&tid=108908&author=jaytee]Do you have to keep the weeds out of it as per the contract? If not, then I'd leave it alone as weed seeds provide LOTS of food for the quail and other birds. NWSG can get way to thick and it doesn't take much to get that way. I read somewhere the other day, think it was the Covey Headquarters news letter that ideal quail habitat is something like one NWSG clump every 5 or so square feet with the rest being weeds and bare ground.[/rquote]

Yep, for quail I would only want about 20 percent grass and have the rest be beneficial forbes for seeds and brood rearing. :cheers:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1567861&tid=108908&author=HabitatMD]Not on year 1 jm.

Course you may want to wick that Johnson Grass again this year.[/rquote]

Stocking up on RU just as soon as I see some of that 1/2 price stuff on the shelves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.