Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this term before.
Evidently it means that a deer or population of deer are milling about in a pasture or other open area.

Anybody else use this term? It was a first for me anyway.

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
yep can't wait till the deer get yarded up in my area.they get thicker than ants at a picnic:D

·
SHED ON
5,637 Posts
I use it as where a large population of deer will gather on a major food source in the winter. Deer will migrate to a steady food source with ample bedding cover so as not to have to travel much to a from food.

That is what yarding means to me

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
Not the real "Webster" definition but:

Yarding refers to the behavior of deer congregating in large bunches often numbering in the hundreds...usually on a prime food source in the harshest months of winter.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
Too slow once again..... I gotta start opening fewer windows at a time!!

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
have you ever herd of feeding.........................or beding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or breeding................................your killen me rat

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
[rquote=1499182&tid=104606&author=rat]I have heard this term before.
Evidently it means that a deer or population of deer are milling about in a pasture or other open area.

Anybody else use this term? It was a first for me anyway. [/rquote]

Friday night, a bar, middle of Lawrence...

·
19,584 Posts
[rquote=1499187&tid=104606&author=doublelunger]I use it as where a large population of deer will gather on a major food source in the winter. Deer will migrate to a steady food source with ample bedding cover so as not to have to travel much to a from food.

That is what yarding means to me[/rquote]

Same here...

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[rquote=1499199&tid=104606&author=Pipe]:rof2::rof2::rof2:[/rquote]

What are you laughing about man?? I've seen you "yard" in the basement and it aint pretty. lol

I guess I never heard of it myself. Makes sense though. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
cuz i started to think what is the definition of a deer that is leafing :D:rof2:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I think the true yarding most deer biologists think of, takes place in more northern climates where heavy snows and extended periods of time where deer have limited food sources. I remember reading Leanard Lee Rue's studies of yarding deer. They would actually browse woody vegetation off as the snow piled deeper so they could reach higher into the trees. Big winter die offs are not uncommon ,,or weren't when severe winters lingered. The old deer that were unable to sufficiently browse because of tooth wear and young deer that weren't as large and couldn't reach browse because the larger deer grazed it to high would die off in large numbers. This created a natural balance of the herd that we try to duplicate by targeting the deer that are in their prime and in peak physical condition,,,,,oops, I guess that wouldn't really be natural would it:D

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I THOUGHT THAT WAS WHEN MOM WENT TO THE STAND AND BROUGHT THE CAMERA BACK TO THE HOUSE AND SET IT UP ON THE DECK TO TAKE PICS OF THE DEER SHE HAD EATING ACORNS UNDER THE OAK TREES, OR EATING CLOVER FROM HER YARD!!!

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
[rquote=1499451&tid=104606&author=cfrazee_mo]I THOUGHT THAT WAS WHEN MOM WENT TO THE STAND AND BROUGHT THE CAMERA BACK TO THE HOUSE AND SET IT UP ON THE DECK TO TAKE PICS OF THE DEER SHE HAD EATING ACORNS UNDER THE OAK TREES, OR EATING CLOVER FROM HER YARD!!![/rquote]

If mom was involved it was called yard stick,,and it had nothin to do with deer huntin and usually somethin to do with my behaviour:D (even though I was an angel ,,I was sometimes confused for one of the ornery ones)

:cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts