Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
You want a progressive or a single stage? I got rid of a progressive a few years ago and not sure I want to get rid of my jr but I dont use it very much.
You are more than welcome to use it as I dont have any plans for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
There is normally a steady supply on ebay and prices seem to be getting back closer to normal. Not as cheap as rat's offer though.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You want a progressive or a single stage? I got rid of a progressive a few years ago and not sure I want to get rid of my jr but I dont use it very much.
You are more than welcome to use it as I dont have any plans for the foreseeable future.
Not really sure I know the difference to be honest just getting interested in it lol

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
What are you wanting to load and what is your goal? You won't save much money on target loads. You can save money on field loads. Steel shot requires some different equipment and technique.
Single stage means you have to pull the handle for each stage of the process, deprime, reprime, start crimp, etc. So, you pull the handle 5 times I think to load one shell. It is slow but simple.
Progressive is doing something to 5 different shells every time you pull the handle so you get a loaded shell with every handle pull. Much faster but also more complicated.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Single stage works for me. I’d like to shoot some target loads and then some low brass 6s for handicap. Not so much looking to save a ton of money but want the ability to have shells on hand without hitting every store within 100 miles.. (I know primers are hard to find) I do want to load steel eventually but that’s down the road

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Single stage works for me. I’d like to shoot some target loads and then some low brass 6s for handicap. Not so much looking to save a ton of money but want the ability to have shells on hand without hitting every store within 100 miles.. (I know primers are hard to find) I do want to load steel eventually but that’s down the road
Let me know and I can meet up sometime, you are welcome to use it.

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
Take rat's offer then. Look for a Mec Steelmaster in the meantime.
I like Remington or AA hulls in 12ga. I have a variety of wads and load anything from 3/4oz up to 1 5/8 oz without adjusting the machine other than shot and powder charge. If you switch between these and other hulls you will be adjusting the machine all the time.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You are getting very good advice from @rat and @Trapper. I have little experience with the MEC loaders since I use mostly Hornady/Pacific, but if you need components (including primers) let me know what you are looking for and I might be able to help, at least with enough to get you started. :)

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I've used the Lee LoadAll with perfect satisfaction, they aren't MEC or Pacific/Hornady, but they work well enough for lead, anyway. I've loaded several thousand rounds with zero issues. It's a lot of work, but you can load a box in about 15 minutes. Nothing fancy, but you don't have to buy powder bars or shot load bars, either. They are cheap compared to the others, but DO require work to get the job done. They come with everything you need (less components). The learning curve is pretty short, but a loading manual for shotshells can provide a lot of guidance.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take rat's offer then. Look for a Mec Steelmaster in the meantime.
I like Remington or AA hulls in 12ga. I have a variety of wads and load anything from 3/4oz up to 1 5/8 oz without adjusting the machine other than shot and powder charge. If you switch between these and other hulls you will be adjusting the machine all the time.
STS or Nitros close to AA? I think I can get hulls for .06 a piece for AAs. How many times can you reload a hull?

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts

·
Deadeye
6,006 Posts
I have a Mec jr wiith a bunch of dies collecting dust.

·
Deadeye
6,006 Posts
I have no clue what its worth but it needs to go

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are getting very good advice from @rat and @Trapper. I have little experience with the MEC loaders since I use mostly Hornady/Pacific, but if you need components (including primers) let me know what you are looking for and I might be able to help, at least with enough to get you started. :)
Thanks for the great offer!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts