WTB Ruger Red Label 20 ga. or other nice o/u 28, 20, or 16 ga.

Discussion in 'F/S Firearms & ammo' started by Rafe Hollister, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Rafe Hollister

Rafe Hollister Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Real close to Winger
    Or convince me what other o/u would be great for packing all day and shooting rabbit and quail. 'Cause I'll definitely be using it and plan on passing it to grandkids one of these days.

I'm still a few months from actually forking over the cash, but figured I'd start looking now.

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    So many nice ones out there, the Red Labels are top notch. Beretta, Browning, etc.

I have a very nice Sabatti made for Remington 20 ga O/U that I like very much, very much like a Beretta Silver pigeon, and you can still occasionally find them on GB, etc. Remington sold them as Premiers, and you can usually find them in the $1500 range today.

Pretty sure Rat has a 20ga Red Label, I think......

But, you can't go wrong with the Beretta's and Brownings. A lot will have to do how it fits you, if possible try to shoot others, since it sounds like this is a gun you want to shoot a lot, and then pass down.

A lot will depend on what you want to spend, as you probably know they can get quite expensive.

Another gun I'd look at is the Winchester 101's. I think they are made by FN now, who used to make, and maybe still does make Browning Superposed O/U's. But, I am not 100% sure if they are making them in 20ga.

Franchi, that's another you could look at.

Good luck, I'd make sure and take my time, and get it right, given what you say you are wanting it for. :wave1:

3. Boone11

Boone11 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    central mo
    My son has a Browning Cynergy in 28 gauge with 30 barrels that's a lot of fun but ammo can be troublesome if you don't reload.

4. Jjones semo

Jjones semo New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Don’t buy a cynergy,if you shoot a lot the triggers will lock up and good luck getting them fixed correctly,I like the gun but mechanical failures are a problem that most gun Smith’s I’ve talked to won’t mess with them and in my case they still aren’t correct after 3 gun smiths

5. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
  6. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    I have had three Cynergy guns and shot the heck out of them... trap and skeet 2x-3x a week and no hiccups whatsoever. Moved and don't live next to the range anymore so all I kept is the 20 ga and it has served me well in SD, MO, KS and MT bird hunting as-well-as some trap and skeet. Cumulative thousands of rounds and not a single hiccup. You must have got a lemon.

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    The good thing about Brownings is, if you do have a problem, you can have them serviced right here in MO.

I have a citori I bought in 1985 thats still going strong, never have had an issue with it. :wave1: You can never go wrong with a Browning shotgun IMHO.

Mailman likes this.
  8. Jjones semo

Jjones semo New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    I completely agree on the browning being a top gun company,myself and one other guy had cynergy guns at the local club mine 30” sporting model both had the same issues,I have a 725 golden clays,beretta 682, and others,cynergy is the only one I’ve had issues with,it did have a lot of rounds thru it before it messed up if you do some research on cynergy you’ll see people have issues with them

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    The Cynergy just seems to be one of those guns that guys either absolutely love, or absolutely hate.

I had a 725 sporting for a while, very nice guns. If I ever buy another Browning O/U it’ll probably be a superposed from the 50’s or 60’s.

10. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Yeah, I had a 20 ga Citori that I just couldn't seem to miss with. I thought I needed the "newest and best" and sold it when wifey bought me the 20 ga Cynergy. I do like the Cynergy... a lot, but I have never shot another O/U as well as that Citori. It just fit like a glove. I will have another some day. I have had some issues with cheek slap with some Italian shotguns. Nice looking, but getting "punched" in the cheek several hundred times takes its toll. :)

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I had a ruger 20 but sold it, regret that still. I still have a ruger redlabel 12

If you go with a redlabel, shoot it first. It has a different fit than the brownings or berettas... the drop at comb is a bit different. Some prefer it, some not.

12. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I shoot my 20ga o/u about as good as any gun I own. Fit is the key.

When you are spending 2k plus on a shotgun, you should always try to shoot before you buy. They might look cool on the gun rack, but if you cant shoot it well, then you are not going to be happy.

manitou1 likes this.
  13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Paul is correct on the comb being different on the Red Labels.....My normal aiming is to put the target on top of the barrel but shooting the Ruger I had to cover up the target to break it so it shot (for me anyways) a bit low. Some shooters didn't notice any difference but I admit I'm a bit "different" at some things. o_O

14. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    You got that right Bill. :) Course, I guess we all are. The only difference is, how big is the "bit". :D

15. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    How are the CZ O/U's if a guy doesn't wanna drop 2k on one? I like my browning's, but dang.

Phil in MO likes this.
  16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I had a cz SxS once. 20ga bobwhite. It was a well made gun for the money, was a little bit small in my hands, and while many people love them, not a huge fan of straight stocked shotguns.

I would think the O/U’s are probaly nice for that price, but you can also find decent used Brownings for about the same price if you look hard enough. :wave1:

17. Jjones semo

Jjones semo New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    I would strongly consider the browning cross over for a entry level shotgun has most features of a high end gun for 1700-1800,I’ve shot it and liked it,haven’t heard anything bad about it

18. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This thread has spiked my interest in finding an older Citori fixed choke 20 gauge ....with an English grip. Good little bunny or dove gun right there.

19. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Looks like you can get those Brownings new for 1300.00! Dang it, I need to vet titles before I read threads!

20. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Superposed Diana grade. :wave1: you wont regret it. :tup: