Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a Kubota MX5400 back in December and luckily the dealer already had what I wanted. I know other folks have had to wait weeks and months for their tractors to come in.

What's your price range?
Well ...like any other guy ...the cheapest, dependable, properly equipped machine I can get away with ..I don't have a high or low as I will write a check but I have some parameters ..for example this machine will be in the woods a lot ..so a pristine no scratch unit is likely to price it's self out of the game ..by the same token I don't want one that has set out in the elements all it's life as they tend to nickle and dime you to death ..less than 2000 hours

So what it looks like, how it has been maintained, how a few tests of the clutch, drive train, pto actuation etc as well as looking in the radiator , pulling the dipstic (s) ..etc

Finding reasonably fresh grease around fittings ..install dated filters that make sense with the current date or tachometer are little things that give my feeble mind some comfort

I will take a well maintained tractor with cosmetic ouches way before one all pretty but maintained by an idiot

Yea I know ..now is a bad time but my second farm needs a utility unit

Bear

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,046 Posts
Go to moffat auction .com. They have an auction on aug 14 in rosebud mo that has 2-3 tractors that may fit your needs
Stop a Ruthie's afterwards. If the food is like Kline's, who was there before them, you're in for a treat.

Reactions: Broken Bear

·
Foul Language
561 Posts
Well ...like any other guy ...the cheapest, dependable, properly equipped machine I can get away with ..I don't have a high or low as I will write a check but I have some parameters ..for example this machine will be in the woods a lot ..so a pristine no scratch unit is likely to price it's self out of the game ..by the same token I don't want one that has set out in the elements all it's life as they tend to nickle and dime you to death ..less than 2000 hours

So what it looks like, how it has been maintained, how a few tests of the clutch, drive train, pto actuation etc as well as looking in the radiator , pulling the dipstic (s) ..etc

Finding reasonably fresh grease around fittings ..install dated filters that make sense with the current date or tachometer are little things that give my feeble mind some comfort

I will take a well maintained tractor with cosmetic ouches way before one all pretty but maintained by an idiot

Yea I know ..now is a bad time but my second farm needs a utility unit

Bear
Understandable. A lot of the newer tractors in that size range will have hydro transmissions. They do make gear driven ones just not near as common. I got a shuttle shift on mine and that's likely why they still had it on the lot. Another thing to keep in mind is they switched from tier 3 tier 4 diesel motors ~2013. There's a huge demand for the tier 3's as there's no fooling around with regen cycles, DEF, etc.

·
Registered
32,613 Posts

·
Registered
31,739 Posts
Stop a Ruthie's afterwards. If the food is like Kline's, who was there before them, you're in for a treat.
Unless they have really gotten their act together lately you will be disappointed. Ruthie ain't no Kline.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I might be about to pull the trigger on a John Deere 5045E 2013, tier II emissions ..700 hours, MFWD, loader,with bucket n forks
A bit nicer than I need but no more $$ than Kubota or other comparable in today's market
Also a bit shorter on HP than I originally stated but this thing weighs 5000 lb ..same as 5055E and exact same engine
(maybe the pump is just turned down???)

So this is like a wedding ..speak now or forever hold your peace if you something about 5045E's I should know I would appreciate hearing about it ...before the wedding!!!

Bear

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
I dont see how you could go wrong unless you could find a similar tractor thats not charging you for that green paint job or an orange paint job

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont see how you could go wrong unless you could find a similar tractor thats not charging you for that green paint job or an orange paint job
It really gets down to who has support ..in our area it's gonna be John Deere,New Holland or Kubota ...
And all are dealers very aggressive in utility tractors sales and PARTS

The best deal in the world is no good if you don't have support to keep it running

Bear

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
It really gets down to who has support ..in our area it's gonna be John Deere,New Holland or Kubota ...
And all are dealers very aggressive in utility tractors sales and PARTS

The best deal in the world is no good if you don't have support to keep it running

Bear
100% concur The tractor I had before the one I have know the nearest dealer was 3 hrs away.. THAT SUCKED!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wondering how this ended up?

Love my 5055E and hoping you are loving your Deere, if that is the direction you went.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts