Would you rather be good or lucky ?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Bear, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I believe people make their own luck but sometimes I wonder. Thake this week for example so far I've hunted hard for 5 days and no luck. I know how to hunt, follow the expert's advice and add a few tricks of my own from 50 years of experience. Yesterday the neighbor kid begged me to take him turkey hunting. The kid showed up in jeans,white tennis shoes, no camo and his granddads old sincle shot, I show him how to make a few calls on a lynch box call. Set him in an old blind of mine near a green field. Then went to my area abnout a mile away. Along about 7 I heard a shot in his direction, same thing at 8,9 10 and 11. For me Nothing, not a sign of a turkey. When I went to pick him up. He was excited as a teen age boy in a room full of girls. He had called in five big gobblers missed them all but the last one. Talk about luck ! But, this teenager
    is now hooked on hunting !
    I got to thinking about it on the way home and recalled countless instantes where this has happend to me or others when deer or turkey hunting. Especially deer hunting. I just don't understand it.
    I have a friend who is both good and lucky, I think he could kill a trophy buck in a Wal Mart parking lot.
    So, Would you rather be good or lucky ? I'm beginning to lean toward lucky but it just never works that way for me.:boohoo:

2. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Well, it's GOOD that I'm lucky, sometimes:D:D:hysterical:

3. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    defintly would rather be lucky... I've done countless scouting, keeping my mouth shut, only to have someone who never been to the area kill a 12 pt buck on opening day 100 yards away from the parking lot.:mad:
    I'm not gonna claim to be a expert turkey caller but the last few times I've had birds shut up when I call em, I'm to the point a little luck is better than alot of skill.

4. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    LUCKY

good people loose out every day.:D

5. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Well my Brother in Law says I'm the Luckiest Hunter he has ever seen,says he has seen me do some things that just shouldn't work,but there is always some Deer or Turkey feel sorry for me and commit suicide.

oneshot
    :D Their just curious about the Big Grin.

6. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    I'll take lucky anytime!!! :wave: