Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok-

Here is my dream scenario for managing the whitetail herd in Missouri.

I know it is drastic but this would sure make for some giant whitetails running around our woods..........

Move the firearm season to early December.

Change it to a Shotgun/Muzzleloader rule like some of our large antlered deer herd having bordering states have done.

Make it a shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck deal.

Just to be fair make all us stick and twine arrow flinggers adhear to the same rules............of course then we would get all the good parts of the rut to ourselves.

Yeah I know the state will never do this but man it would sure lead to a lot more giant bucks getting tagged.

So tell me..........if for some crazy reason the MDC took a vote on whether to change everything over to something like this for 2007 would you vote yes or no and why??????

Maybe this has been discussed before but I havent seen it since the end of last year.............whatcha think?????????/

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh Yeah..........

I vote yes.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Most deer hunters in this state could care less about "giant bucks". If anything, this state has too many deer. Much as I prefer to hunt for mature bucks, I wouldn't support reg changes that would reduce the number of hunters and/or limits their chances at success.

And yes, this topic has been discussed to death.:roll2:

·
Former Chicken Man
20,385 Posts
It even got it's own forum, but it always gets brought out here.

Not everyone is willing or hoping to give up what they've enjoyed since they were little just so that someone else has an easier chance to get their name in some book. Those books should list everyone who was held back or forced to give up their favorite sport so that one guy could get his dream fulfilled.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I wouldn't vote for it. Just because someone has a huge buck walk within their rifles effective range doesn't mean they should "try" to get him. I think it would cause a lot of average shooters to injure deer trying to get that monster.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
i'm with ya arrow-1.
the only way to get quality bucks, (which is what everybody wants)
is to make sacrifices. it's been two years since my last buck harvest,
and not because the opportunity wasn't there.
the antler restiction is working, but more imo would be better.
BASH AWAY, but look at Iowa, and Illinois, we have better habitat.
Imagine the possibilities.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,385 Posts
Originally posted by igor
i'm with ya arrow-1.
Wrong. I couldn't care less about what you guys call quality. If a big one walks by I'd shoot it, same as I would a doe, a spike or a spotted fawn. A deer is a deer.

·
Retired
9,536 Posts
Originally posted by igor
i'm with ya arrow-1.
is to make sacrifices. it's been two years since my last buck harvest,
and not because the opportunity wasn't there.
the antler restiction is working, but more imo would be better.
BASH AWAY, but look at Iowa, and Illinois, we have better habitat.
Imagine the possibilities.
Not "Everybody" igor------
I am one of thoses foilks that is in the middle--I understand it and I support anyone's management in this way for them. If I'm a guest hunter on soneone elses property then I will follow their rules--Plain and simple. BUT-----
I think i'm in the majority when it comes to simply deer hunting--I enjoy hunting as much as I enjoy eating ---I have never attempted to eat a set of antlers and I dont suspect that I ever will. If you will go back over the past 8 to 10 years of my posting on several boards I know you will not find anywhere where I posted anything about bragging about a set of antlers. My first deer thru the small doe that I killed last year hunting with friends are all trophys to me and each was just as exciting as the next. :cheers:

·
Registered
814 Posts
QDM should not be regulated by the MDC. the job of the MDC is to manage for a healthy herd (does to bucks, and how it all relates to carrying capacity). QDM should be a grass roots effort that should come from the hunters/landowners. if it were true that everybody wanted it, then why would we need more regulations?

can anyone remember the last time increased government regulation was the answer to anything? :banghead:

·
Retired
9,536 Posts
Originally posted by gmbellew
QDM should not be regulated by the MDC. the job of the MDC is to manage for a healthy herd (does to bucks, and how it all relates to carrying capacity). QDM should be a grass roots effort that should come from the hunters/landowners. if it were true that everybody wanted it, then why would we need more regulations?

can anyone remember the last time increased government regulation was the answer to anything? :banghead:
EXCELLANT---:cheers:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geez Guys.............Did I hit a nerve??????

Lets Remember that I said at the top this is MY DREAM....it is just that.....a dream.

It will never happen in the state of Missouri.

I was just curious to see if anyone else thought like me.

I agree.....any deer taken legally is a trophy in my eyes.....I just wish that the male deer in our wood would be given a better chance to live past 1.5 years old.

They have a tough go at it come rifle season..........I dot understand why there are regulations and limitations on fish sizes......but up until the 4 point rule in 29 counties you could take the first set of horns you see.

GOP.....just be happy you got it your way......dont be so grumpy.......I dont like it the way it is now.

I will continue to do it my way.....shoot 2-3 does per year.....take one buck maybe every other year or every three years.

If I want to shoot a deer I shoot a doe.

If I want horns I like em bigger than the horns on a Jack a lope.

Thats my opinion.

Missouri will change the regs very little in the future.....sep for maybe going statewide witht the 4 point rule.

Oh and by the way GOP.....it is not about some book.

I have shot a few nice deer and have never even had one of em scored.........

It is about having a chance to see something that at this stage of the game is extremely rare in Missouri. A mature whitetail buck in the wild.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm with ya. I hunt Missouri and Illinois. The hunting in Illinois is far better in number of deer and quality. All you that say you could care less about quality than thats fine, I see plenty of immature deer that I'm sure you would shoot, but also see some mature animals that spark my interest as well as those who would like to see Missouri offer the same kind of deer. The MDC could take some lessons from states like Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa for not just quaility but quanitiy as well. There is a reason Missouri is not as big a hotspot for hunters from afar as these other states and our managmet approch is the reason. But if shooting immature deer or any deer for that matter is your thing than I guess were right on target. They all taste good.:sniper:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Arrow-1,

I would support it 100% and virtually every hunter I know would also. The steps have been taken to re-establish whitetail numbers in our state and now it's time to make the herd as healthy as possible and as similar to an ideal herd (prior to man's intervention) as possible and our current herd is far from that.

It looks like the majority on this site (thus far) would not though. The question I have is why? The reasons being sited are petty to say the least and have no logical or biological reasoning whatsoever.

a. Why would the number of deer hunters decrease? Simply because the season's dates have changed? Because you can no longer use a rifle? Becuase you have to shoot a doe before a buck? None of these proposed changes should have any bearing on wether or not the same people continue to hunt or not, they can still shoot a doe anytime, they can still shoot what ever age/size buck they want. Lastly, while I understand some may not own a shotgun, I would wager that the vast majority also own a shotgun and could still chase deer each fall and given that the average/typical shot it under 100 yards in our state there would certainly be no loss in excitement. This is simply an execuse/theory that does not hold water, the simple fact is people resist change, they fight it at every turn and that's human nature even when the change is best for everone including the deer.

b. It's not about getting a name in a book, nor are you giving up what you enjoyed growing up. You can still whatever deer you choose each fall just at a different time of the year.

c. Would cause a lot average shooter's to injure deer that walk in front of them trying to get that monster??? Not sure of what this has to do with Arrow-1's post. But don't kid yourself it happens now with deer that are far from monsters in anyone's book.

D. "QDM should not be regulated by the MDC." This thinking is precisely wrong and a direct result of not understanding what true QDM is about. Quality Deer Management is not about producing "GIANT/MONSTER" bucks that is Trophy Management and should not be practiced by the MDC, but QDM should be practiced in every facet of deer management. This is about developing and utilizing tools that allow for managing a deer herd that is as healthy as possible; free of disease, free of stress from overbrowsing, evenly distributed age classes, etc. This encompasses far more than increasing rack size, any benefits in rack size are more generally a bi-product of proper nutrition and a more evenly distributed age structure as even in QDM there are supposed to be deer from each age class harvested each year (1.5's, 2.5's, ect.) in order to keep things balanced rather than taking nearly all 1.5's you take a more even amount.

Before bad mouthing QDM or turning a deaf ear to those who support it, do a little research and take the time realize that while what the MDC has done to re-generate our states deer herd is amazing we have reached a point that the old plan is no longer feasible or viable and things need to change no matter how much we fear it or dread it or we could be facing a problem though differnt just as daunting down the road.

Opposing change or what we are comfortable with is human nature and everyone experiences it, but just step back and take a look and you will see everone benefits with Quality Deer Management, especiall the deer.

Booner

·
Registered
42,104 Posts
Yeah, I think we should just put up a 7 foot fence all around the state of missouri and dont let anything in.. dont let anything out, feed the deer out of buckets, put collars on them, name them bucky and booster, let them out of the pin the morning of the hunt.. shoot em, get your picture taken for tv, get a plaque...

:roll2:

You can preach all you want, get on your high horses all you want and ride around... Ya wanna know why theres not many "big" deer in southwest missouri? Its because of all the hickbillies down here who walk out on there porch every other night and shoot each deer they see...

Rules...rules...rules... isnt the rules being 400 pages enouh already, nooo lets work up some sort of idiotic equation of if you kill this (doe) then you can kill this (buck but only if it has x points with x amount of points being x"s long) and once you do that you can do 25 jumping jacks because wow, your special..

If I see a doe, ill shoot it... if i see a buck (regardless of how many points) ill shoot it... A doe tastes just as good as a forkin horn, sure id love to kill a nice 8-10-12-14-45678 point buck, but im not going to jump through hoops of fire just to shoot one..

.....BUT thats not to say what you propose wouldnt work, i belive it could, but I belive it should be done on a personal / private level... The government already has there hands in too much stuff as is.. no need to make it worse..

·
Registered
844 Posts
Rebelcj7,

Where in his proposed changes did Arrow-1 say you could not shoot a button buck, spike, fork horn, yearling, fawn etc. He did not say anything about an antler restriction and the only additional rule would be "Earn a buck" and obviously that would not be a statewide thing as some areas still do not allow does to be shot as the populations in those areas is still below estimated carrying capacities, but far more areas have way to many does and need to find a way to increase the number harvested and this is one of the only viable ways.

Changing when the season is does not affect what you can shoot, nor does it change the rules drastically. Your response is a prime example of not listening to what is being said.

Booner

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
but im not going to jump through hoops of fire just to shoot one.. [/quote]

Not sure if I would call these suggestions "jumping through hoops", just an approch to a stronger and healthier deer herd that may actually take a little effort from the hunters that presue them, heven forbid. A friend has a farm in Texas county and sees plenty of deer and a good amount of mature deer, must not have any hickbillys. But as I said if shooting an immature deer is your game do it they all taste good.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Change it to a Shotgun/Muzzleloader rule........:stickfight: Why stop there? Why not sidelocks and open sights? Give them biggins a better chance! The new MLs are deadly at ranges farther than I can shoot on my property, and I like to handload and I like my centerfires.

Make it a shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck deal.............I'm sure every group of hunters will follow that rule to the letter! :hysterical:

I am all for antler restrictions so young bucks walk. But keep it fun! Too much government is a bad bad thing!

1 - 20 of 264 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.