would sunflowers work?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by buckbuster, Jun 4, 2009.

1. buckbuster

buckbuster Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toas, Mo
    got a spot i want to put in a food plot, the only problem is its about 80yds from a gravel road. would a row or three of sunflowers be enought to obstruct the view from the road? and how long would they be standing into the fall?
    brad

2. Hey brad, I Planted several rows of corn at a spot I had that I wanted to keep people from watching and poaching. It seemed to work pretty good. We left it standing and it still did a pretty good job through most the season.

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

After sunflowers ripen there isn't much there to block the view. So you wouldn't have much of a screen come fall.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    dforbis makes a great point... I'd put a few rows of corn in.

5. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I've seen corn used ifor that reason .. 3-4 rows.... very effective

6. jason6517

jason6517 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Milo would work also.

7. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    All that annual stuff will work if you plant it every year. That's too much work, time and money in my opinion. I would rather plant Elderberry or Hybrid Poplar and have a visual screen in one year, that lasts for years to come. Wild Plum takes about two years.

8. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    forage Sorghum does a great job, sunflower dries up and falls over pretty easy, even very few thick stalks will make it.