Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent another hour shooting my bow at Jefferson Barracks Park today. The heat was a little tough, but my shooting is improving. I am now gaining some consistancy and I am getting my 20 yard pin dialed in. This has taken a few days because I have changed a few things on my bow, and each time it changes my arrow behavior. First, I removed my quiver. I am using a $5 cheapo belt style from Wal-Mart. Sure lightened up my bow and made it more manuverable. I will have to come up with an alternative when I start practicing/carring broadheads. (Open for sugestions.) Next, I put on a wrist strap. Now, I don't have such a death grip on my bow and my shooting is more relaxed. That really added to my consistancey. I have had to adjust left to right on my sights, but thats o.k. Both changes have really helped, but I have certainly had to put in time to work through them at the targets. Next session at the range, I will start working on my 30 and 40 yard pins. I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have never (and will never) shot a deer past 25 yards with my bow. My advice...keep practicing at 20 yards and get your group as tight as you can. Once you don't like shooting that close (because you have to replace fletchings everytime) then you will be ready for the longer ranges! Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
My advice is a little different than JarJar, but the same idea. I would say the same abotu shooting 20 until you are on the money. But I wouldn't stop or mess up fletching, just don't shoot the same spot!
I don't have any problem taking longer shots, I try to limit it to around 40. To me that is totally a personal choice based on how comfortable you are with the shot.
As for the quiver. I use a bow mounted quiver, one piece. I just detach it when I shoot. When in a tree there is generally a limb to hang it on or somewhere to put it. I would recommend a kwikee quiver. quick and silent detach and you can actually buy a screw in bracket so you can attach it to the tree while you hunt. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Sounds like you are having alot of fun w/ shooting the new bow and thats the main thing...;)

·
Registered
777 Posts
im with hoyt on the quick detach quiver. I never had a "quick" detach one before but I always took mine off when I got in the tree. Now that I have my new bow with a quick detach its gonna be that much nicer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.