Woodland Mangement for Wildlife Managers Workshop in Gasconade County

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by shortgrass, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Most folks on here have seen the thread by BajaBill detailing the woodland management that they are doing on their property. Well now it appears we will be having a free workshop to look at the many aspects of the management. This will be a great opportunity to see the various stages of woodland management and see how topography and soils should be influencing management.

I will try an bump this announcement back up as the date gets closer, but I just wanted to put it on folks radar.

Woodland Management For Wildlife Managers

Saturday May 12, 2018

Rottmann Farm
    1721 1st Creek Road
    Hermann, MO 65041

RSVP By May 7th to Seth Barrioz, 573-897-3797 ext. 116

9am -12:30pm

This workshop will be outdoors in an actively managed woodland. The workshop will involve some steep walking. Snacks and water will be provided.

Topics to be discussed:
    • Woodland vs. Glade vs. Forest Management

• Timber Stand Improvement
      • Should you thin or harvest
    • Prescribed Burning
      • Importance and ecological role
    • Tree Identification
      • Important mast producers
    • Woodland Plant Identification
      • Important plant species to deer
    • Edge/ Old Field Management

• Woodland Food Plots

From Hermann: Go West on Hwy 100 for 6 miles. Make a left on Hwy J for ¼ mile. Turn Left on First Creek Road (gravel) for 2 miles. The road will make a turn to the Right just after a small bridge, turn Left into the driveway.

From Swiss: Go North on Hwy 19 for 2 miles. Turn Left on Bohl Rd. for 3.2 miles. Turn Right onto 1st Creek Rd. for 2.1 miles. After a steep downhill, turn Right into drive way, just before small bridge and sharp turn.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I may try to make this.