Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Women only deer hunts - Any comments?

4K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  Satch 
#1 ·
The Missouri Department of Conservation has several Managed Deer Hunts that are Women Only hunts. I have tried to understand how this can be legal. I thought using public funds for gender specific activities, excluding participation purely on gender, was a violation of law.

I have discussed this with several people - male and female - and without exception they have all found it hard to believe.

Comments?

And BTW, the Kansas City Parks Hodge Park hunt is also WOMEN ONLY. Note that Mo Conservation runs this hunt.

Maybe I’m just too old……….

#2 · (Edited)
According to this particular hunt in 2020, Only women who’ve NEVER harvested a whitetail deer are eligible... (for this particular 2020 hunt in Blue Springs). attachment for the Blue Springs Hunt is below

Its all about Hunter Recruitment for the MDC..... In this particular situation it may not necessarily be a bad thing..With the Anti-Hunting..Anti-Gun lobby and other factors impeding on 2nd Amendment Rights.... Offering “Women Only Management Hunts” Could ultimately widen the “tent” to bring in individuals that wouldn’t have a high % experience/opportunity to enjoy a successful hunting opportunity otherwise.

MDC ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR A WOMEN-ONLY MANAGED DEER HUNT
July 1, 2020

The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) says women may apply to participate in a managed deer hunt that is scheduled to be held October 24-25 at the Burr Oak Woods Conservation Area in Blue Springs.
A news release says applications for this hunt- open to women 18 and older who have never harvested a white-tailed deer- will be accepted through July 31.
Hunters will be only allowed to use shotguns and shells with slugs designed for short-range deer hunting. A shotgun can be provided for a hunter upon request. Each hunter will have a mentor assisting them during the hunt. Hunters may harvest two deer, but only one can be an antlered deer. The managed hunt does not prevent women from harvesting deer during the regular archery and firearm deer seasons.
Hunters must attend a full-day mandatory orientation session beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, October 17, at MDC’s Lake City Shooting Range and Outdoor Education Center. Hunters will review firearm safety and ethical hunting practices. They also will have an opportunity to shoot at the range. Afterwards, they will meet at Burr Oak Woods and attend a Deer Hunting 101 class, and they will have an opportunity to scout the zone in which they will hunt. The day will conclude with the skills portion of Hunter’s Education Certification, if the hunter has not yet completed this requirement.
To apply for the women-only managed hunt at Burr Oak Woods, or any of MDC’s managed hunts statewide, visit https://short.mdc.mo.gov/ZkC.

#15 ·
maybe because it is not distinguishing between sexes? Disabled females only of female youths only???

Whatever, if there is enough woment hunters to fill the spots, have at it! I say it every year, but IMO no OOS hunters should be drawn for any hunt at the expense of bumping a resident hunter who applied, gay, straight, male, female, shemale, karen, etc.

#27 ·
Exactly. If anybody lets something like this bother them they need some therapy or something.

#22 ·
Jenny & I volunteer for a managed hunt at Mark Twain lake for first time youth hunters. If they kill a deer during regular youth or regular firearms, they no longer qualify. These types of hunts are designed to reach people who don't have other opportunities to deer hunt or anyone to teach them. Personally, I think it's a good thing.

#38 ·
I guess men transitioning to women are eligible. Is it okay because you think it's for a good cause even if it is discriminatory? Does that make it legal? There aren't many black, Hispanic, and Asian deer hunters. Would you agree to a special hunt where only those races were eligible? Wouldn't that encourage more minorities to become deer hunters? Just something to think about.

#40 ·
Shouldnt the transition be complete before they are eligible?
When a caterpillar starts to transition to a butterfly, they are not officially a butterfly until the metamorphosis is complete. In the mean time, they are a pupa.

Are we going to allow a pupa hunt as well as a transitioned female hunt?

#44 ·
I’m having trouble understanding how this is any different than holding youth only hunts ( age discrimination) or disabled only hunts ( able body discrimination). I get where some of the comments are coming from….white men truly are discriminated against in many ways but this ain’t one of them.

#47 ·
Did anyone say it discriminated against whites? There are many examples of age discrimination like the age you can vote, the age you can drive, the age you can drink alcohol, and the age you can run for Congress are but a few. There are valid reasons for those examples aren't there? They aren't really discrimination but regulations to prevent unqualified individuals from doing something. You can certainly make the case that youth hunts and disabled only hunts are discriminatory although I don't know if anyone would actually pursue a legal path on them. Women only special hunts would fall in that same category. My point was the envelope is being pushed further and further as you notch out special opportunities for a select cast of individuals. Intentions may be good but at some point the special opportunities do discriminate against non members of the group and encourage further exclusions. Obviously others can speak for themselves.

#54 ·
You can always say you identify as a womano_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.