Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
I am pizzed cause my wife can't do it cause she's already an established killer. :D

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,695 Posts
I am pizzed cause my wife can't do it cause she's already an established killer. :D

Jenny & I volunteer for a managed hunt at Mark Twain lake for first time youth hunters. If they kill a deer during regular youth or regular firearms, they no longer qualify. These types of hunts are designed to reach people who don't have other opportunities to deer hunt or anyone to teach them. Personally, I think it's a good thing.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Jenny & I volunteer for a managed hunt at Mark Twain lake for first time youth hunters. If they kill a deer during regular youth or regular firearms, they no longer qualify. These types of hunts are designed to reach people who don't have other opportunities to deer hunt or anyone to teach them. Personally, I think it's a good thing.
Understood Randy, and if I stop being sarcastic for a minute, I'd say I love the idea. So what if it's just women, or women new to hunting. Introducing women to the sport of hunting... Is good for all of us, cause women make up over half the voting population. My wife has become a bit of a celebrity among women at our golf club, I'd say 90% of them think it's great, and have even asked her about doing it themselves. The ones who don't like it, I assume are the ones who say nothing.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Would she really entertain the prospect of hunting on public ground in Kansas City?
No. She would only hunt with me on our place pretty much.... The sarcasm emoticon was clearly on display after that comment. :D

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,695 Posts
Understood Randy, and if I stop being sarcastic for a minute, I'd say I love the idea. So what if it's just women, or women new to hunting. Introducing women to the sport of hunting... Is good for all of us, cause women make up over half the voting population. My wife has become a bit of a celebrity among women at our golf club, I'd say 90% of them think it's great, and have even asked her about doing it themselves. The ones who don't like it, I assume are the ones who say nothing.

I know there's other programs the MDC puts on that are geared towards women only. Not necessarily deer hunting, but other opportunities to get women interested in the outdoors. Unfortunately, they're not all well attended. Don't know if the MDC needs to do a better job of marketing the events, or if there's just not the interest.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
I know there's other programs the MDC puts on that are geared towards women only. Not necessarily deer hunting, but other opportunities to get women interested in the outdoors. Unfortunately, they're not all well attended. Don't know if the MDC needs to do a better job of marketing the events, or if there's just not the interest.
I would think.... If a woman has never hunted, they are not very likely to jump in on something like this. I guess a few will, but many would be like my wife and only interested if their spouse/boyfriend or other family member is taking them out. In all honesty, that is where we come in on this. I know a lot of guys who wouldn't even consider taking their wife or GF.... But, my wife and I have had a blast doing it.

·
Super Moderator
26,896 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many applicants they get for this hunt and if the quota is not filled do they open it to anyone...or just go with a lower number of hunters?

·
Super Moderator
26,896 Posts
I would think.... If a woman has never hunted, they are not very likely to jump in on something like this. I guess a few will, but many would be like my wife and only interested if their spouse/boyfriend or other family member is taking them out. In all honesty, that is where we come in on this. I know a lot of guys who wouldn't even consider taking their wife or GF.... But, my wife and I have had a blast doing it.
I don't know too many that wouldn't take their lady if they wanted to hunt. Most I know like taking new hunters, be it kids, adults, whoever.

I only see a couple places Shaw, Cape G. City and Monkey Park.....really want to get them involved offer up say Jefferson Barracks..........

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
I don't know too many that wouldn't take their lady if they wanted to hunt. Most I know like taking new hunters, be it kids, adults, whoever.

I only see a couple places Shaw, Cape G. City and Monkey Park.....really want to get them involved offer up say Jefferson Barracks..........
I dunno, I talk to a lot of guys who's take on it is, it's my time, my time to be away from my wife, etc.... I have had several tell me they hope their wife never asks to go, or takes up interest in it. Mostly just because they like getting away from her for a while. :D

·
Super Moderator
26,896 Posts
I dunno, I talk to a lot of guys who's take on it is, it's my time, my time to be away from my wife, etc.... I have had several tell me they hope their wife never asks to go, or takes up interest in it. Mostly just because they like getting away from her for a while. :D
i completely understand that, but knowing how much fun it it is anyone who asks would likely get a yes!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My daughter asked me to take her last year, she is 28 now she has not hunted since she was 14 and she was successful in taking a small buck and was very excited to do so, i haven't heard if she wants to go again this year but i enjoyed spending time in the blind with her and i think she really enjoyed it and she seemed to learn patience and confidence in doing so, especially with her shooting abilities! So more power to anyone that is allowed these types of hunts. My wife has gone on occasion with me but i don't know that she will ever shoot a deer. As we get closer in age to retirement she has mentioned going hunting with me more but never mentioned shooting one. I am fortunate to have plenty of private ground to take my girls hunting on and my own ground to practice shooting on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Missouri Department of Conservation has several Managed Deer Hunts that are Women Only hunts. I have tried to understand how this can be legal. I thought using public funds for gender specific activities, excluding participation purely on gender, was a violation of law.

I have discussed this with several people - male and female - and without exception they have all found it hard to believe.

Comments?

And BTW, the Kansas City Parks Hodge Park hunt is also WOMEN ONLY. Note that Mo Conservation runs this hunt.

Maybe I’m just too old……….
Let them be! We have guys Poker night don't we!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I guess men transitioning to women are eligible. Is it okay because you think it's for a good cause even if it is discriminatory? Does that make it legal? There aren't many black, Hispanic, and Asian deer hunters. Would you agree to a special hunt where only those races were eligible? Wouldn't that encourage more minorities to become deer hunters? Just something to think about.

·
Under appreciated
92,618 Posts
I guess men transitioning to women are eligible. Is it okay because you think it's for a good cause even if it is discriminatory? Does that make it legal? There aren't many black, Hispanic, and Asian deer hunters. Would you agree to a special hunt where only those races were eligible? Wouldn't that encourage more minorities to become deer hunters? Just something to think about.
Shouldnt the transition be complete before they are eligible?
When a caterpillar starts to transition to a butterfly, they are not officially a butterfly until the metamorphosis is complete. In the mean time, they are a pupa.

Are we going to allow a pupa hunt as well as a transitioned female hunt?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts