With all this 17 HMR talk..........

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by buckwacker181, May 28, 2009.

1. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Finally got the Savage I have been wanting for about 2 years. Picked it up at Cabelas today and I couldn't put her down. Plus she was on sale:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. buckwacker181

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    I only put 50 shots through it so far, but I haven't had a group where all of the bullets weren't touching. This thing is incredibly accurate.:cheers:

3. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Thats hot! Did it come w/ the scope?

4. buckwacker181

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Yep. Pretty decent scope. Made by Cabelas just for the 17hrm. I'll put it to the test this weekend. I may upgrade down the road.

5. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    I dont like spending money, but dang! Thats a nice rifle.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

6. If you buy one like that are you going to make it a zebra too:peepwall::peepwall::peepwall::peepwall::peepwall:

:cheers:

7. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    HEY! I like camo. :D

And its not a zebra.................its custom. :D

8. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    wooooooo, thats a nice one, :woot::woot:

9. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    [rquote=1278728&tid=89478&author=looking_for_guns]okay custom zebra:D

:cheers:[/rquote]

I'll sell it to ya for $300. :D Cause its custom now. :2thumbsup:

10. Nah it would cost me $150 to make it not gay anymore :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:peepwall::peepwall::peepwall::peepwall::peepwall:

:cheers:

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I have a savage and mines extremely accurate too.. I think the round is tat way by nature to a degree.

Sure is fun to shoot though... love mine.

12. buckwacker181

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Have you tested to see what ammo shoots the most accurately out of yours rat? From what I've heard the Hornady 17 grain is tough to beat.

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1278743&tid=89478&author=buckwacker181]Have you tested to see what ammo shoots the most accurately out of yours rat? From what I've heard the Hornady 17 grain is tough to beat.[/rquote]
    Thats all I've shot and all I will.
    I was following holes when I broke it in so why change. :cheers:

14. buckwacker181

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
  15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

From what I have read after breaking them in the dirtier the barrel the more accurate they are. Not to say you should not clean it when it is super dirty but no need to keep a squeaky clean bore on these rifles.

I have a Marlin 917 all ready to customize a new RifleBasix trigger and a Boyd's Evolution stock. Waiting on the Marlin Hummer customizer on this board to come by and help me out for a free lunch.:dancin::dancin: I have shot mine and was pleased.

You have a nice looking rifle:eek::

16. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I like to keep my stocks away from the termites:roll2:, but otherwise those Savages usually shoot well. I've always stuck with the 17 Hornady load, but I did recently try some of the 20gr. HPs and they shot better than I expected, my rifle will NOT shoot the 17gr. HPs worth a spit, though.

I've killed prairie dogs out to 250 yards with my Marlin, but it runs out of "thump" at about 175 yards, so keep most of your shots under that, and you'll be pretty happy with it.
    It's not much on coon-sized critters, though, save it for crows and stuff that size. BTDT, not happy with the results. I've had mine since they first came out.

17. buckwacker181

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    I got her sited in today. My best group at 100 was 1 1/2in, with 3 out of 5 shots touching. The wind was playing tricks with me too. I also put a shot right through the middle of a quarter 100 yards away. Pretty darn impressive. For those guys who have Savages with the accu trigger, did you adjust them? The trigger feels pretty good to me. Fairly light and breaks crisp, but I no it could be a lot better. My battery is my camera is dead and I can't find the charger so I'll post some pics hopefully later tonight:cheers:

18. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    If you're happy with the trigger as is, don't monkey with it:D:D:D

1 1/2" groups on a breezy day isn't bad, especially for the first time out with it. Did you clean it really well before shooting it the first time? That usually helps it long term, but often plays hob until the bore gets "seasoned" a bit.

If I clean my Marlin, I have to shoot 20-30 shots through it before the groups tighten back up. It's weird that way, but it seems to be the norm with HMRs, at least with my varminting buddies, who've all noticed the same thing. We just shoot them till the accuracy goes downhill now, about 200-300 shots.