Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planted some last fall and the deer loved them, do you all normally leave them or work them under. Mine now look like this.
Plant Plant community Sky Tree Natural landscape

They are over knee high, thinking of letting them go to seed and mowing this fall.

• Wow
Reactions: beanpile

·
Registered
31,988 Posts
Wow! Can't give you an answer because mine never survived the browse pressure.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seed seemed pretty pricy is why I thought of leaving them and mowing and disking under this fall would be a free (except fuel) replant?

·
Triple Creek Hunter
1,084 Posts
Yep seed is expensive. I will not try them again. I would need to fence off the area for any to be left for season. In my area my best early season crop has been mix of turnips radishes, and rape. Deer are really hammering the tops by mid Sept last two years I have taken really nice bucks out of that plot mid Sept. Have had 6-8 bucks at a time feeding in the plot early Sept.

·
Registered
31,988 Posts
Seed seemed pretty pricy is why I thought of leaving them and mowing and disking under this fall would be a free (except fuel) replant?
It would sure be worth a try. I have no idea when they will set seed but if the timing is right it might work.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,758 Posts
Mine got hammered last fall/winter and came back again this spring. Not as hardy as last year but still to give a small food source. I let it go and will disc and replant later this fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts