Wing bone call opinions?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by brushpile, Jun 4, 2009.

1. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    I was thinking about getting a wing bone call or something similar, opinions and recommendations requested.

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    the bone will diffanlly add a tool to your hunting bag they have a specal sound to them that isn't somthing turkeys hear from every hunter out there

heres my two choices either roy wilson of harrisonville he makes a awesome jordan style bone and cane call a favorite of mine

http://www.customcalls.com/callmakers/turkey/wilson/wilson.htm

or steve lumma who is a man of extreme talent also a member here hes from wentzville

http://www.customcalls.com/callmakers/turkey/lumma/lumma.htm

both guys can make you a beautiful functional call at a very fair price....all of roys calls are the same more or less
    steve's are more custom and he can make them as fancey as your pocket book will allow from pure carved ivory to milled 24kt gold if you want....his engraving work is unbelieve able too....

but he will make a poor mans call too :D just good old bone and glue thats what i can afford

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i made a nice wing bone from turkey i took years ago......they are difficult to learn to play but sound good. if i were you i would get a nice slate from Parker or poor valley, they are great calls and easy to play. have a box call for locating, if ya can use a mouth call they work well in conjunction with the slates.

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Me personally wouldnt mess with em unless you just WANT to.

if you WANT to great..

but i aint never used one nor ever wanted to, my mouthcalls, box call and VECtor slate calls em right in..

upto 37 total now ;)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    dont forget pretty boy and his girlfriend REB......they help ya to..:D

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1286608&tid=89976&author=Mr_Hannibal]dont forget pretty boy and his girlfriend REB......they help ya to..:D[/rquote]

when i use em yes

only used em a few times

more then not i dont

:D

7. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD Active Member

Feb 15, 2008
    [rquote=1286564&tid=89976&author=huntforfunnfood]the bone will diffanlly add a tool to your hunting bag they have a specal sound to them that isn't somthing turkeys hear from every hunter out there

WELL SAID!

8. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    The reason I was thinking about a bone call was because I kinda liked my homemade call.:D
    http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=87793

It worked like a bone call, and I was able to keep calling while I was aimed in. I was sitting along a fence in plain view, so if I moved the turkey would have seen me, and I was still able to call. I'm totally sure it was nothing that turkey had ever heard before, and it brought him in on a beeline. When he stopped short, I was able to make faint sounds without moving, and that did the trick. In preditor calling it would be the equivalent of switching from a loud call to a mouse squeaker. I just figured I'd upgrade to a real call that works in a similar fashion.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i'll show ya my wingbone call when ya come out. they are not to hard to make. i have some wings also, we could get the bones and put some calls together pretty easy....:claphands:

10. jolle

jolle Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Troy, MO
    They are a neat call to add to the bag. I first tried a turpin yelper when I was a kid and we found it at a shop for $1. My dad told me the history behind them and I tried it a bit, but it takes getting used to. Thosed are actually referred to as a trumpet type call.

Then a few years later my sister met and eventually married Steve Lumma (as mentioned above), who makes amazing wingbones and just won first place at nationals for his working wingbone call. Since then he has given me several and I've used them more, and they certainly work and have a place. To me it's more of a challenge, or trying something different that makes them neat . . . no call is magic, and these have a steeper learning curve than most.

In general they aren't "hands free" as you have alluded to, but I guess it could be if you propped it right.

11. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    They're not hard to make. Here's one I made a while back. Not fancy but it works just fine.

[file]60280[/file]

12. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Jollie, they aren't hands free, but you can hold them in place while aiming, and they are motion free.

13. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Wingbones are a little difficult to learn to use properly but deviver a terrific sound. If ya want to reduce motion pin a retractor( like ya use for lightweight trout accessories) inside your sleeve and attach the little cabel to the call. When ya need to get rid of the call just tuck it in your sleeve and let go.