Wind is absolutely wrong.

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by pinwheel, Oct 27, 2010.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    But with the wind blowing as hard as it is, I'm not sure it'll matter. Rackin my brain on what stand to hunt that's low enough to be partially outta the wind & not 25' in the air. Stand I was in this morning felt like it was moving 2' from side to side. The only one I can think of that might fit the bill, is a ladder stand I got from Hanni. I set it for rifle season & haven't been back in there for 3 weeks.

Anybody else ever throw caution to the wind on days like this & not worry about wind direction? Gusts to 30 mph

2. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    that's a tough one, but they could certain be coming from any direction not to mention chasing.

good luck!

3. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    I hunted in huge gusts on Monday evening....and every deer I saw was very skidish. Not a single deer was ever "walking" when I saw them.

4. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866196&tid=129931&author=20 feet high]that's a tough one, but they could certain be coming from any direction not to mention chasing.

good luck![/rquote]

No option from behind me. Stand is literally right up against the creek. Another year or 2 with rains like the last 3 & this tree will be gone down the creek.

My thinkin is, even if I'm winded, he's not gonna know where the scent is coming from.

5. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    as long as she is blowing steady i wouldn't worry about it nothing winded me last night.just blew right over them:cheers:

6. 20 feet high

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=1866203&tid=129931&author=pinwheel][rquote=1866196&tid=129931&author=20 feet high]that's a tough one, but they could certain be coming from any direction not to mention chasing.

good luck![/rquote]

No option from behind me. Stand is literally right up against the creek. Another year or 2 with rains like the last 3 & this tree will be gone down the creek.

My thinkin is, even if I'm winded, he's not gonna know where the scent is coming from.[/rquote]

with the gusts you are right they won't know and it won't bugger them too bad, you may just connect or gather valuable intel for upcoming sits:cheers:

7. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    With a strong, steady wind, I don't think the direction matters much. It's going to disperse your scent so much that deer aren't going to pick more than a couple molecules.

8. 20 feet high

Feb 19, 2009
    go kill that giant shed buck!:cheers:

9. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866211&tid=129931&author=coyotehunter]as long as she is blowing steady i wouldn't worry about it nothing winded me last night.just blew right over them:cheers:[/rquote]

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.

:2thumbsup:

[rquote=1866214&tid=129931&author=20 feet high][rquote=1866203&tid=129931&author=pinwheel][rquote=1866196&tid=129931&author=20 feet high]that's a tough one, but they could certain be coming from any direction not to mention chasing.

good luck![/rquote]

My thinkin is, even if I'm winded, he's not gonna know where the scent is coming from.[/rquote]

with the gusts you are right they won't know and it won't bugger them too bad, you may just connect or gather valuable intel for upcoming sits:cheers:[/rquote]

That intel is as much what I'm after as anything. I can see a good long ways in 3 directions. It's in the immediate vicinity of where I found that big shed this spring. Have not hunted in there yet & would like some ideas on what's going on in there.

10. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Good luck, I see you completely ignored cummins comments, which is probably smart....:D

11. racks-n-beards

racks-n-beards Chiefs FANatic

Steady wind and perty dry out. should be good to go.

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1866230&tid=129931&author=callaojoe]Good luck, I see you completely ignored cummins comments, which is probably smart....:D[/rquote]

When he talks, to me, it sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher.:D:blah::blah::blah:

13. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I've rode roller coasters that weren't as exciting as the ride I took in the stand. The tree I was against was a 22-24" old oak & I swear, with some of those wind gusts, I was blown at least a foot. It was a wild ride, to say the least.

Ended up seeing 8 deer & 3 turks. Walked up a young buck off his bed on the way in that was using a bluff as a wind block. Dropped down in the creek so as not to be visible & when I came out 200 yds later, I found myself right in the middle of bedded deer 80 yds from my stand. They mostly went into the wind, except one doe, who ran right past my stand. I moved onto the stand & was getting setup, when the doe decided to come back & try to hook back up with her family. You could tell exactly when she hit my scent stream. It was like a wall she was unwilling to cross & turned & went back the way she came.

The rest of the deer came back & were within 50 yds, & included a young buck. Wind swirled there direction once & I got blown at, but nothing blew outta there. The doe came back in the last half hour of daylight & stood broadside eating acorns at 35 yds, but with that wind, I wasn't going to attempt a shot. I was glassin her as she tried making her way back to her family a second time & it was very obvious again, when she hit the scent stream. No way, no how, was she going to cross through it.:D

Like I said earlier, this is my rifle stand for opening weekend. It's in a really good spot. Gonna do an all day sit opening day & possibly Sunday morning as well if needed. Provided I don't already have something in yote's shop by then.

14. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Nothing Winded me last night.

But I never saw a deer either.

Feels to me like we are full week to ten days later this year vs last year. Must be the election.

15. Radar

Radar Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Liberty , Mo.
    The wind wasn't as bad yesterday afternoon , but it was still shifting as it gusted . I jumped 4 walking in and thought the hunt was over , but two does came back in later . The wind shifted and the lead doe caught a little bit of my wind and got nervous but couldn't tell what direction the scent came from so she proceeded to walk through my shooting lane @ 30 yards . Doe number 2 is hanging up . :)
    I'm heading back out this morning . It should be a great morning . Cold and calm for a change.