Winchester Model 70

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by archer66, Jun 2, 2009.

1. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I found a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 30-06 with 3x9x40 scope...don't know what kind...for 375 bucks. Anyone have any experience with this rifle??

2. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL Member

Dec 17, 2004
    If its in any kind of decent shape buy it!

3. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I called the number in the ad and got an answering machine....hopefully they still have it.

4. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    It's the" Model 70 in the middle", not a hallowed pre-64 model, or the later "Classic" model, it's the fanciest of the push-feed post-64s. Nicely finished stock, all the bells and whistles, smooth, strong, generally good rifles. I don't like the fore-end tip, but I've never much cared for those things anyway, they do nothing for accuracy, and are only for looks.

As a deer rifle, it's a little bit heavy compared to a Remington 700, but equally as nice, and possibly smoother. It SHOULD be just as accurate as any other rifle, but that's something individual to the rifle, depends on how well it was taken care of, etc. That's a reasonable price for a push-feed Model 70, not too much, not too little. If the scope is worth a dime, you're coming out WAY ahead if you buy it. If not, toss the scope and get a better one, and you're still good to go.
    The XTRs were generally a little nicer than earlier post-64 rifles, better blueing, better stock finish, stuff like that. It sounds like a nice rifle.

5. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Thanks for the info folks, I'm finding them on gunsamerica and gunsinternational for 450 and up...including a really nice looking one for 700.

Be interesting to find out how beat up this one is and what kind of scope it has. If it's in decent shape I'm gonna try to get it bought.

6. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Well the guy called me back.

The rifle is kinda rough, he said 75-80% with dings and scratches in the stock and scrathes on the barrel from resting it on a metal deer stand rail....belongs to his brother in law and is a "tack driver"...aren't they all. The scope is a cheap simmons so I think I'll pass....375 plus a new scope is too much for a rifle that's been beat up a bit.

7. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I love Winchester Model 70's. Very good rifle imo.

8. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Those dings and scratches just add character as long as they aren't too severe.

9. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    see if he would take 325.00 and he keeps the scope. if he says yes, it is a good deal even if it is a tad rough.