Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the question several months ago but I need to get serious now. Plus, we've got several new members that might be able to add to the discussion.

I'm looking for a Winchester Model 70 post-'64 LA stock. I'd love to have a thumbhole stock but it's not a necessity. I'd like to steer away from the black composite. Looked at several companies to buy a new one and it looks like Boyd's, etc will cost about $150 for a laminated thumbhole stock.

My rifle right now does not have a floor plate so I'll either need one without the floorplate hole or I'll need a floorplate also.

Does anyone have one laying around or know where I can get one for a little cheaper? I'm gonna have to buy a new scope for this gun soon also so price is a bit of a concern.

Ya'll have always come through in a pinch. Let's see if you can do it again!

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=654985

Midway has the parts, so will gunparts corporation, but I don't have their web address. You'll also need the follower, spring and trigger guard with latch for that conversion.
Model 70 'blind magazine stocks', aftermarket or otherwise, are few and far between, so you'll probably HAVE to add the other parts to get with a new stock. Boyd's is the least expensive alternative, except my Bell and Carlson's fiberglass stocks. Sorry about that end of it....... I'd check with gunparts, first, William's parts are top notch, and priced accordingly:eek:

·
just a no body
15,873 Posts
I have one..its a Ranger stock/ very plain jane.. no checkering at all but I replaced it with a Houge so its just laying around. It does have the place for the floorplate.

Obtw.. I used to scratch X (Bucks) & O's (Does) on the bottom of the for grip but they are out of plainsight right behind the front sling mount..most probably could be sanded out tho .

I'v been keeping it around just incase I replace my 270 with another bigger Caliber Win..then I'd put that on the Hogue but that looks to be a lesser & lesser posability as time goes on.

If your at all interested & no one else comes to your aid its an option you have...

we dont live far apart.. & it'd go reeeeeel cheap..we could meet a BP in Columbia then I could go buy something...reeeeel Cheap

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, Glenn. What are your thoughts on the Bell and Carlson and Boyd's stocks? This stock would be going on my 7mm mag used ONLY for hunting...(Hurts too much to do anything else with it!)...so I'm looking to stay economical but comfortable and effective. Also saw those Ram-Line stocks are WAY cheaper but I'm sure they're not near the stock compared to the companies listed above and more expensive ones.

As far as the other accesories that I'm gonna have to buy. My barrel is not blued. It's got a matte finish on it. I assume you can buy the accessories to match?

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
I have both brands of stocks, and both are more than satisfactory for my wants and needs, though some folks are pickier than me. Both brands will likely need a little glass-bedding job to get them exactly right.
Williams DOES make a matte finish on his parts, I think that's the one I linked, in fact. You can pick thru there and see what finishes he offers. He posts over on 24hourcampfire, too and seems like a nice enough guy. You WILL need to swap over to the hinged floorplate, most likely, to find a stock that will fit.
Ramline stocks are sturdy enough, I had one of those, too, but they are kinda noisy in the brush, they are a hardmolded plastic and everything makes a sound when you bump against it. They are priced right, though!

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Found a couple of wood short action and composite stocks but no long action wood ones yet. I will keep looking.

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
beanpile, u2u sent.

Everyone else...KEEP 'EM COMING!

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
U2U sent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.