Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day finally came. I got this new toy on Friday but didn't have time to post till now. I am extremely proud of her. She's the most collectible rifle in my safe. I love old military guns. For those of you who don't know....this is a gun the US troops used in WWI. This particular rifle bares the marks of the flaming bomb insignia from our rifle factories of the time period, wich is pretty cool. There is one on the side of the receiver and actually 2 on the bolt arm. The wood on this rifle is beautiful and the pics of course do no justice to it. The action is smooth as can be and the bore is in great shape. This will be my new antlerless season deer rifle as it can handle any of the modern .30-06 factory ammo, and will be cool to get a deer with an old gun. I imagine this gun has seen its share of killin so I have to get her back to her old ways! The last pic is of the long distance rear sight aperature. And now the pics!
:cheers:

[file]80266[/file]
[file]80268[/file]
[file]80270[/file]
[file]80272[/file]
[file]80274[/file]
[file]80276[/file]
[file]80278[/file]
[file]80280[/file]
[file]80282[/file]

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
sweeeeeT!!!:eek::

·
Registered
858 Posts
Very nice!!:eek::

·
Registered
998 Posts
That's one of the strongest actions made. It looks like the original finish, too. Winchester blued their receivers. All of Winchester's parts are marked with a "W". "R" or "E" marked parts are Remington or Eddystone. Winchester manufactured wood also bears the W mark. It's under the handguards and on the tip of the stock. The rear sight is the same ladder sight that was used on the BAR and early Thompson SMGs.

Congrats on the addition. That is a very nice rifle. I especially like the **** on opening feature.

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1481039&tid=103557&author=leemozoid]That's one of the strongest actions made. It looks like the original finish, too. Winchester blued their receivers. All of Winchester's parts are marked with a "W". "R" or "E" marked parts are Remington or Eddystone. Winchester manufactured wood also bears the W mark. It's under the handguards and on the tip of the stock. The rear sight is the same ladder sight that was used on the BAR and early Thompson SMGs.

Congrats on the addition. That is a very nice rifle. I especially like the wee wee on opening feature.[/rquote]

I have noticed several parts marked with the letters you mentioned and also the letter G with a 4. I haven't found anything on the wood yet. I would like to talk to someone who can tell me just what I have. Btw....what do you mean by wee wee??????

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1481259&tid=103557&author=leemozoid]wee wee = c o c k on opening. Darn naughty word filter![/rquote]

Im still confused. Was it something I typed in my thread?:confused:

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found another flaming bomb. This one is on top of the barrel near the front sight. I will get a pic added soon. :cheers:

That makes 3 of them. Im told that ups the value of the gun.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The flaming bomb is common on the 1917s. There should be a mfr and a date on the top of the barrel behind the front sight. If it's the original barrel there will be a small "w" on the underside of the barrel about 5" or 6" back of the muzzle.

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Above the bomb is the letter W...below it says 5-18

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
hey nice addition, that is in fine shape for the age, i also own one that is actually a remington, the bombs stamps on the gun stand for "bomb safe" testing a letter with number sequence stands for the builder and if u can read the serial number then i can look in my book and tell you the approx month and year built and might even say when was removed from service, most were rebuilt and put back into community for sale in 1942 when the goverment needed money, i know the one i have was bought by my grand father in 1948 at a gambles hardware here in michigan for a cost of $16.00!!! is there an eagle on the gun?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
did you also know when you push the bolt in and no cartridge is in chamber to pull trigger before pushing in and locking down bolt that will leave it in the half ****ed position so there is less tension on the firing pin spring! and check out this page its a little something to read up on them http://www.highspeedlane.net/m1917/
happy hunting with the vintage!

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[rquote=1486759&tid=103557&author=inkwithattitude]hey nice addition, that is in fine shape for the age, i also own one that is actually a remington, the bombs stamps on the gun stand for "bomb safe" testing a letter with number sequence stands for the builder and if u can read the serial number then i can look in my book and tell you the approx month and year built and might even say when was removed from service, most were rebuilt and put back into community for sale in 1942 when the goverment needed money, i know the one i have was bought by my grand father in 1948 at a gambles hardware here in michigan for a cost of $16.00!!! is there an eagle on the gun?[/rquote]

Hey thanks for all the good info. I will get you serial number soon. I would appreciate that. Im not exactly sure what you mean in your second post. You do that with no cartridge in it? Also, I have not found an eagle yet. Where would it be located if it were there?

u2u at ya!:cheers:

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this the eagle? Its very small and there in a number 12 under it. It kinda looks like a birds head but I need a magnifying glass.
[file]81174[/file]
A "W" marked on the side of the front sight
[file]81176[/file]
A letter Y and what looks like a double struck flaming bomb on the bolt arm
[file]81178[/file]
The bomb again with a W on top and 5-18 underneath it
[file]81180[/file]

·
17,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more.
[file]81182[/file]

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
yes without a cartridge in, and the date on the barrel is may of 1918 that is the barrel manufacture date, and the serial number shows early4th to 7th day of june 1918 that would be stamped the day it was approved and packed to ship, the eagle is the stamp of approval for war use in the us military, any "W" stamps are winchester manufacture R for remington and E for eddyfield, the stamps in the stocks still are being researched so i could not tell for sure only a guess but dont want to say and not be right, as for the Y that is the remanufacturer stamp and to whom it belonged could be 1 of many seeing thousands of people were employed to check and fix to gov specs for resale in 1943

1 - 20 of 32 Posts