Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
Could a reloader use 30-30 brass or would that be stretching things to far?

Edit...
I checked
..30-30 brass can be resized up to the dimensions required for the 32 Win Spl but NOT the other way around. I doubt I will venture into reloading for this rifle like I do for other rifles I shoot more frequently. I'll just buy 4 or 5 factory boxes and say that's good
Bill, my old 336SC will put three shots into 1 1/4" or better at 100 yards regularly, with Winchester 150 PowerPoints, which is more than good enough for any deer within 200 yards. I suspect that M94 of yours will do as well (or, it would, with a scope like my Marlin). Heck, if el cheapo factory ammo will do that, there's no need whatsoever for a feller to bother loading it for deer hunting. In fact, the last time I took my Marlin out (last week), I shot two groups that were under that 1 1/4" mark @100 yards.
If store-bought ammo will do that, no need to handload, especially if you're shooting iron sights(unless you just want to).

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Registered
13,736 Posts

·
Quack
5,353 Posts
If any readers of this thread have some experience with the 32 Win Spl caliber let's hear it.
I killed a deer with a .32 special a few year back. The serial number put it over a 100 years old and it used to hang in the the postmasters office in washington.

Iron sights were dead on at 80 yards. It dropped about an inch at 100'.

I had to special order the ammo from cabelas and it took about 3 months to ship. That was about 10 years ago.
I came across 500 rounds at an auction and bought them for $100. Figured it would be a lifetime supply.

Now the rifle just hangs on my wall.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Quack
5,353 Posts

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Locally I paid including tax $45.30 for Federal 170 gr jacketed soft point flat nose and $31.11 for Hornady Leverevolution 165 gr FTX. I'll just say the Federals shot much better comparing their grouping at 50 yards.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,980 Posts
Wow, glad I am stocked up on 30/30 Win ammo. I've often thought about how cool it would be to own a 32Win, but in todays ammoland it's not as cool as it used to be cause you can't get ammo for it.....

I have 80 rds of 30/30 win in process for reload as I type. :D

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Wow, glad I am stocked up on 30/30 Win ammo. I've often thought about how cool it would be to own a 32Win, but in todays ammoland it's not as cool as it used to be cause you can't get ammo for it.....

I have 80 rds of 30/30 win in process for reload as I type. :D
There are a lot of people looking for 30/30 shells so I went to a few places last weekend and I found some 300 Savage shells for a guy but no 30/30 or 30/06 nowhere.

·
Registered
793 Posts
30/30 is the toughest common cartridge to find right now. As a trucker, I run all over the Midwest and Mid-South, I have seen 30/30 shells three times in the last year maybe year and a half. Except at gun show where scalpers sell them for $6 per cartridge. I will not sell mine for any price.

I refuse to invest in a 350 Legend but the ammo is about as common as any, probably because nobody wants it. What a flop of a cartridge.

I bought a 30/30 Lee Loader from Midway just to offset the availability, but now I need primers and powder.

Still, if I found a pre-64 model 94 in 32 Special in like new condition, and I had it in my hands at the store, I’d buy. Never a mistake!

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Heading to my range today to poke a few holes in paper at a hundred yards to make sure she's sighted in. From my search around KC I found none so I might go back to the gun shop where I found these and buy a couple more boxes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Grab all they have, if they will sell it to you. I try to keep at least 5 boxes of cartridges for every rifle and will get more if I can. Based on, if I hunted with that one gun I could make it until I am too old to get around.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Will not shoot a rifle if I have less than 5 boxes of cartridges!

Edit- I could probably get by on one box the rest of my life the way I hunt. Shotgun shells different story!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
My word of advice to everyone is to have at least 200 rounds of ammunition for every gun you have, but I’m sure there are people that have 2000 rounds for some guns.

·
Registered
793 Posts
There’s also a lot of people with one partial box of shells for the last 5 years

Reactions: jawesome357

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
There’s also a lot of people with one partial box of shells for the last 5 years
You got that right, I went squirrel hunting the other day and when I was done I was down to 4 shells of #6 shot so I went to looking in stores and online and you cannot buy shells or the shot to reload. I lucked out and a friend sold me 2 boxes out of his stash. I’ve been looking for 30/30 and 30/06 ammo for friends and haven’t seen any all year. If ammo and.reloading components every get back in stock I will replenish plus some.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Picked up two 20 round boxes of the Federal 170 grain today. Pretty pricey at $90.59 for the two boxes I picked up. Hopefully I live long enough to use these rounds.

·
Deplorable member
10,106 Posts
Picked up two 20 round boxes of the Federal 170 grain today. Pretty pricey at $90.59 for the two boxes I picked up. Hopefully I live long enough to use these rounds.
Can’t take em with ya.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,980 Posts
Sure I can. Might ask the funeral director to place the rifle along with the ammo in the casket before they close the lid.
Just make sure you're not being cremated, when that ammo starts to pop off, might freak people out a bit. :D

21 - 40 of 48 Posts