Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had traded off my Winchester 94 Pre-64 30-30 years ago and decided I'd go on the search for a replacement. I happen to find one at a mom and pop gun store locally. It looks almost brand new with a manufactured date of 1961. Owner said it had a half box of shells shot through it. The caliber is one I'm not to familiar with. It's a 32 Win Special. I did find shells for it fairly easy since they are still being prouduce by Hornady and Federal. I'll be using it this coming rifle season. I did find out that the 32 Win Spl kicks a bit on the bench. Maybe I'm getting a bit soft in my old age?

Wood Metal Fashion accessory Nickel Titanium
Door Wood Automotive exterior Metal Auto part
Wood Door Wood stain Varnish Rectangle

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I had a 1948 M94 in .30 WCF with a period Redfield aperture sight that was as clean as that one. I killed a couple deer with it and swapped it to my dad because he really wanted it. Dad killed several deer with it and then traded it on a Browning BLR 81 .308. The workmanship of those old firearms is hard to find today.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If any readers of this thread have some experience with the 32 Win Spl caliber let's hear it.

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
If any readers of this thread have some experience with the 32 Win Spl caliber let's hear it.
I don't have any personal experience with the .32 Special, but it was introduced at the same time as the .30/30 Winchester, because Winchester figured that folks who reloaded with black powder would like it better than the .30/30, which was never a B/P gun. According to Ken Water's Pet Loads book, it's a lot easier to load with cast bullets and get good results, but Waters wasn't shy about doing that with the .30/30, either, and got good results with both cartridges. The slower twist rate in the .32 barrels did make it easier for normal folks who weren't up to Waters' skills, though, and it also didn't get fouled as easily with black powder as a 30/30 would. Ballistics are essentially equal to the .30/30, so you're not out much,
However, once they get a lot of wear in the barrel, they lose accuracy a lot quicker (again, with black powder) and don't stabilize the bullets very well. I wouldn't worry about that too much, you'll never shoot it enough for that to happen, it might have been a factor in the 19teens, but with todays' bullets, who cares?
I don't think I'd even bother with reloading for it, they've had nearly 130 years to get the factory ammo right (just like the .30/30), and it's not worth the effort. Heck, as much as I like handloading, I don't reload for my 30/30, it's not worth the effort.
In any event, the .32 was for reloaders who were going to use black powder, and you're probably not going to bother with that, so it's moot. I would, if at all possible, try to find a reprint of the Water's Pet Loads book, though the data is really dated now, it's still awfully useful and there will be excellent information in it. My copy of it is all worn out from reading the print clean off the pages.:giggle:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,980 Posts
Nice👍🏻

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,980 Posts
You get tired of it let me know. 😎

·
Registered
725 Posts
As per usual @glennasher1 has it right. That’s a fine rifle you got there Mister!

Reactions: WBF and fishshooter

·
King of Callaway
42,814 Posts
Got a lot less scars than anyone who’s posted in this thread

CJ passes I want it after him

Those rifles are the 870 of rifles they don’t fail and most group better than the man running them is capable of shooting!

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Registered
32,439 Posts

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice. Guessing you haven't shot it yet?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Missouri Hunting mobile app
I shot two rounds of the 170 grain Federal at 50 yards. I think it must have been sighted in for 100 yards since it hit 2 inches high at 50. Using the iron sights the target was a bit fuzzy for these 73 year old eyes. My doctor said I should have my eyesight checked since I'm diabetic.
Circle Symmetry Slope Parallel Font

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
That should put it pretty much spot on at 100.
I'd say you're good to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 1959 example in 32 special not quite as nice as yours however. Don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon. I may have a lever gun problem though.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 1959 example in 32 special not quite as nice as yours however. Don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon. I may have a lever gun problem though.
Problem??? I don't call that a problem...just an expensive hobby.😁

·
Registered
21,280 Posts
Very Nice Bill!

·
White Gold Prostaff
1,002 Posts
My brother has my dad's 32 special. He killed a lot of deer with it over the years. My brother reloads for it, although brass can be difficult to find.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My brother has my dad's 32 special. He killed a lot of deer with it over the years. My brother reloads for it, although brass can be difficult to find.
Could a reloader use 30-30 brass or would that be stretching things to far?

Edit...
I checked
..30-30 brass can be resized up to the dimensions required for the 32 Win Spl but NOT the other way around. I doubt I will venture into reloading for this rifle like I do for other rifles I shoot more frequently. I'll just buy 4 or 5 factory boxes and say that's good

1 - 20 of 48 Posts