Will This Net Work?

Discussion in 'Fishing Gear & Tackle' started by oneshot 1, Jun 4, 2009.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
  2. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Tie a chicken neck or two on to it and it will be full of crawdaddys in just a few minutes. Never caught anything but crawdads with a net like that.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Great for crawdads. Like AL said....chicken neck and you are in biness.

Keep the bigger ones for yourself.

4. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I used nets like that except 10' to catch baitfish at a hatchery I worked at as a kid. They were on tripods to lift. Bait with fish feed and wait 10 minutes lift.

Definately will catch sunfish, Minnows are harded.(they're faster and get off before its up all the way) Won't work if there is much current.

5. showmethejewels

showmethejewels Active Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Washington D.C
    use a throw net or make a minnow trap...both are really easy to use...I can teach you to throw a throw net in bout five minutes or one paragraph...whichever is easier...to make a minow trap all yor need is some small wire cage, some crimps, and a pair of wire snips can make a bunch of them for bout 20 bucks.

6. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1286874&tid=90000&author=showmethejewels]use a throw net or make a minnow trap...both are really easy to use...I can teach you to throw a throw net in bout five minutes or one paragraph...whichever is easier...to make a minow trap all yor need is some small wire cage, some crimps, and a pair of wire snips can make a bunch of them for bout 20 bucks.[/rquote]

I can use a Throw Net and have one,just afraid of messing it up with brush laying on the bottom.But I did think about trying it.

Also got couple Minnow Traps.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin sugested the Throw Net.

7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I like my throw nets, I thought you were using a scoop, I been thinking about trying one of them

Tramel net works well for cut bait, but there's a bit of paper work ect involved in getting one :roll2:

8. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1286940&tid=90000&author=fishshooter]I like my throw nets, I thought you were using a scoop, I been thinking about trying one of them

Tramel net works well for cut bait, but there's a bit of paper work ect involved in getting one :roll2:[/rquote]

I sold my Boat so I don't really have a way using the Scoop.Might let the Scoop go with the Boat but maybe somebody will give me something for it.I gave $50 for it.

oneshot
    :D Yea all the Big Grin has now is a Little Row Boat.

9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Throw nets are handy seen a lot of guys use em from the bank but you'd want a smaller one to reach out a little

No experience with the one you're looking at

10. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1287127&tid=90000&author=fishshooter]Throw nets are handy seen a lot of guys use em from the bank but you'd want a smaller one to reach out a little

No experience with the one you're looking at [/rquote]

The Trow Net I got isn't very Big and I can throw it pretty good.

I better just try my Throw Net.I brought up this one with my wife,she started complaining about all the Nets I buy,she even brought up a Seine I had over 20 years ago,she acted like I just bought it last week.I told her that it was history,that I used it all the time and many a Gar put very Big Holes in it and that I wish I had another one but I don't have anyone to help me with one anymore :mad2:

I wonder why women are like that?? If you ever buy anything it better last you a lifetime.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin just catch them with his teeth.

11. showmethejewels

showmethejewels Active Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Washington D.C
    what are you trying to catch is the main question...Shad use a throw net....perch/bluegill rod and reel....minnows use a sein net or trap....crawdads sein or trap...skipjack use rod and reel

12. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1287192&tid=90000&author=showmethejewels]what are you trying to catch is the main question...Shad use a throw net....perch/bluegill rod and reel....minnows use a sein net or trap....crawdads sein or trap...skipjack use rod and reel[/rquote]

Well I'm mainly wanting perch/bluegill out of the river.

oneshot
    :D OH!OH! the Big Grin knows the answer.Use Rod and Reel!