Featured WIll someone please start a topic about DEER (not turkeys)?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by deep woods goat hunter, May 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM.

1. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I've been out of turkey mode for a long time it seems. Who is working on getting beans in, WSGs drilled, trail cameras out early.
    For the love of God, can we talk about Whitetails?

rant over

2. jawesome357

jawesome357 The Instigator

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    I just leased a new patch of ground. Have an Ol Boy clearing out a bunch of cedars on the place now. It's literally a dense forest of nothing but cedars and oaks. I'm having the cedar brush pushed into piles along the edges of these clearings to create funnels, and will plant the clearings when everyone is cleared out. lookin at about 10 acres +/- that he's cleared. I want to make some good food sources on the place as all it has now is the undergrowth.

3. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    That's the kind of cool stuff I'm talkin about.
    Those kind of spots are the best to take and create a trap in the middle of a deer nest.

4. hesseu

hesseu Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Sprayed 25 acres of fescue last week. Welcoming in some early succession growth and a couple food plot locations :)

5. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    91FD4CC3-120D-44E1-AC5C-EB2B70C48740.jpeg
    Clover looked good over the weekend. Got about 2 acres of beans up about 4” and some buckwheat in a little spot that still needs some soil help. No pics of beans or buckwheat.

6. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    It's gonna be tough goin, and I still have to figure out how I'm gonna get in and out from some of the areas I want to hunt. Good part is I have permission from one neighbor to park and use his field.

I'm just wondering how well I'll be able to get stuff to grow. Soil is black as night, but it was up until recently covered by cedar trees.

7. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    I farted, and it smelled like deer paunch, made me miss October. Almost got me thrown outside till November. Naw I am going down to set some trail cams this week end been seeing a little antler growth, so want to start getting it documented and a plan in order. Kinda excited to see who made it, and who didn't. There was one that would match and most likely exceed the one in my avatar, sure hope he made it. Didn't hear of anyone around us getting him.

jsr and deep woods goat hunter like this.
  8. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    You're gonna need to lime the hail out of that ground Shane, I'd bet that soil is waaaaaay low on ph. The soil we had tested in a similar scenario is needing 4+ tons per acre.... Big Pete and I are gonna be spreading and discing lime this weekend, planting a few beans and some buckwheat. The buckwheat is pretty ph tolerant so it should do OK as a starter crop, the beans are leftover so why not toss'em out while we're at it. Last year's attempt at a plot in this spot failed miserably, we went on a cedar assault to open up the area and are going to make sure it doesn't fail again.
    I spent the weekend on the KC farm spraying and planting beans & corn. I use a disc to roll/crimp a stand of johnson grass to make a thatch layer and planted corn (set the disc to barely touch the ground so as not to chop up the rhizomes). Two passes pretty much laid it all flat. The JG made a good screen last year in this spot, so corn should do the same and add another food source.
    KC Farm.jpg

Beans planted into the leftover buffet plot of wheat, chicory, crimson clover and GH radishes.
    KC Farm 2.jpg

Beans to the right and corn straight ahead.
    KC Farm 1.jpg

Thanks for the tractor and planter @gurgalunas!
    IMG_20180513_110117593.jpg

9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Hoping this deer survived for this year. Very young 11pt last year. Hoping he blows up this year. 11pt3.jpg

10. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    He looks to be the perfect age to do just that

callaojoe likes this.
  11. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I am sure looking forward to sighting in the new bow, getting the kids shooting a ton more, figuring what Fall plot plan will be, and on the next open weekend (haha) I want to chainsaw some bush honeysuckle at a local spot.

12. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I got a new bow this year too, already sighted in, ready to kill stuff now. :D

STTH likes this.
  13. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    That's what I'm afraid of! This thread actually has me in my HuntStand App now plotting out stand sites and entry/ exit routes. How do y'all do cost share on farms you share with buddies? Does everything go 50/50 or if it's somethin you want done you pay for it yourself? This is my first go of leasing with a buddy is why I ask.

14. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

If it was me, I would start by asking him what he thinks.

Good rule of thumb would be to come to an agreement of what needs done and split all the costs evenly.

deep woods goat hunter and 20' like this.
  15. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    We'll we've already agreed to split most costs, but he is on a bit tighter of a budget right now. That's why I was wondering how everyone else did it.

16. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    how long is the lease for?

17. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Did you get the red and white empties cleaned out of the pesticide bins?

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  18. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    As long as we want it.

19. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

that's awesome, well that's Johnnyawesome!

20. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    The Lady we are leasing from is pretty awesome.

20' likes this.