Featured Will Social Media Be the Death of Hunting?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by MeatHunter, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
  2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009

3. jawesome357

jawesome357 The Instigator

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    I saw this on Social media.

Chew, Wings Fan 19 and MeatHunter like this.
  4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    MWT is social media..... :wave1:

5. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    LOL! The fact that I saw it on FB made it seem ironic........and good fodder for conversation on here............ :D

6. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Social Media will be a drain on society and people in general! IMO

Lazarus, zbrann, tcwild and 4 others like this.
  7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

It's sure not helping hunting. The March to try and force state managers to regulate a state like a individual property is not good for hunting and it's fueled by social media.

8. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    It IS a drain but more like a sewer.

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Copied and pasted from the above link....and Oh so true

Differences in opinions are nothing new for hunters. I’d be willing to bet that even the pre-settlement Native Americans couldn’t agree on the best wood for making a bow or the most effective arrowhead design. But when communication was limited to face-to-face, or even telephone discussions, those differences were typically handled in a civil manner. Each side would share their opinion and, in most cases, no one would change their mind. But at the end of the day, everyone remained friends.

Unfortunately, social media has changed the way we handle those differences. Maybe it’s because we only see a name and a profile image on the other side of the conversation, rather than a human being and fellow hunter. Whatever the reason, we often say things to one another on social media we wouldn't dare say in person. If you’ve spent more than 10 minutes on any of Facebook’s thousands of hunting pages or groups, you’ve undoubtedly witnessed it first-hand. See if this rings a bell — someone shoots a record-class buck and baseless poaching accusations immediately start flying. Someone shoots a small buck and he/she is shamed by more experienced hunters. Or, maybe it’s a hunter using one type of equipment being criticized by someone who uses something else. The list goes on.

tcwild, DAYMAN65 and MeatHunter like this.
  10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Depends how thick/thin your skin is......

11. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    If everyone just did things the way I think they should, I would have no need to critisize them... Pretty simple really. :D

tcwild, WBF, MeatHunter and 2 others like this.
  12. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    the typed words don't share feelings or inflections.....they can be taken a different way than initially intended. Now some are pretty clear messages.

BustinBucks, WBF and MeatHunter like this.
  13. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Besides CWD or the eradication of the herd to prevent CWD will be the death of hunting, and crossbow :)

14. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    "See if this rings a bell — someone shoots a record-class buck and baseless poaching accusations immediately start flying."

Back in the 80's guy shot a world class non-typical with his bow. At the Kansas Bowhunters Banquet I heard the story of how it happened. In short, he was in his stand, another guy came in after sunup and while walking to his stand, jumped the buck, which then stopped 20 yards from the shooters stand. I went and shook the guys hand. Others were bad mouthing him for being lucky and selling it to a big box store. But back then it did not go any further then word of mouth.

now days it will be all over with accusations

Crappie, tcwild, 20' and 1 other person like this.
  15. Muzzy-83

Muzzy-83 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Adair Co
    I don' think "social media" will be the death of hunting. But it seems to do more harm then good when not used properly.

I do not have Facebook or any other social media accounts. This is the only hunting forum I view and post on. My wife says it' my "hunting Facebook". I say no way!

20' likes this.
  16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sort of agree with your wife, there's just about as much silly drama on this forum, as I see on FB. :D

jj77, West79 and MeatHunter like this.
  17. ELKMO41

ELKMO41 Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Hard to hide "honey holes".

18. antlercrazed

antlercrazed Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    North Missouri
    I think social media allows people to interact easily all while behind a keyboard,downfall of that is there are a lot of *******s out there ha,Other than the occasional A-hole it really isn't a bad thing persay.I will say my fondest memories though,came in the 90s when I couldn't wait for the stack of hunting magazines to arrive,or getting a new copy of some knight and hale or primos hunting video back in the day when 110" 8pts were considered trophies in my part of the country.Just shooting any deer got you shaking like a tree in a hurricane back in those days,that was hunting camp back then.Heck even the early 2000s wasn't bad,I miss real deer camps.Whiskey drinking,poker playin,dance club visiting,yearling doe shootin,don't bring the wives or kids type clubs,nobody speaks of deer camp type clubs lol.Todays world isn't so bad though,I like spending time with the family and having some aunt I don't even know commenting on every picture on Facebook.Ahhh technology,now we can't escape the family we don't claim :banghead:

tcwild and jawesome357 like this.
  19. tri-lakes bowhunter

tri-lakes bowhunter Active Member

Nov 23, 2012
    I'll tweet how I feel about this subject,that's how we Americans do business

20. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    I miss those days too. My body doesn't but I do.

antlercrazed likes this.
  21. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Got to agree when bunch of MWT Members were going to Stone Creek in the Off Season to me it was far more fun than anything else I could do. My wife would complain oh all you want to do is set around and Party instead of hunting :rolleyes: So!

oneshot

:D They would have more fun with the Big Grin there.

000_1162ht8.jpg

000_1155ht1.jpg

oneshot

:D The Big Grin couldn't run their critters.

Crappie likes this.