Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually don't hunt much in the morning, but figured I probably will a few days while on break. Will deer eat in the food plots early in the day this time of year or is it just an evening thing? The ground is pretty much frozen all the time right now so I figured it wouldn't matter as much as when it's warmer and the deer have to fight frost and dew only in the morning.

·
Registered
567 Posts
They dug through the ice/snow to get to the last clover in at least one of mine. Not a lot of use, but they have worked at it in several spots. I don't know what time of day.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I have had most of my luck in the afternoons this time of year
but in my opinion they have to have calories and are probably going to feed every few hours so you never know when they might feed, Sat morning I did a fair amount of driving and saw several deer in the morning, if I had a choice i would go in the afternoon

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
Originally posted by rmr
I have had most of my luck in the afternoons this time of year
but in my opinion they have to have calories and are probably going to feed every few hours so you never know when they might feed, Sat morning I did a fair amount of driving and saw several deer in the morning, if I had a choice i would go in the afternoon
What he said.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I have observed that afternoons are usually better than mornings this time of year. But I went doe hunting Saturday morning and counted close to 20 deer. A decent 8 and a nice 10:banana:

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were the deer you were seeing in the deep woods or on fields? Also, was this up in northern Missouri with a high number of deer to begin with?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I seen about 20 or so yesterday caught them leavin the fields good luck

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
I haven't been hunting, and maybe it's just when I'm out, but I've been seeing deer mid-mornings.
They gotta keep the calories up, so... probably go whenever you can stand it the longest!

·
Registered
609 Posts
with this cold weather they have been moving early in evenings. Seen 12 the other night and saw a good buck tonight. Usually are lucky to see 1 around here especially after deer season.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I would say in cold like this they get up and browse several times throughout the day. Worst thing IMO about hunting deer on food sources this time of year is that they are generally bedded very close to the food source which makes slipping in and out undetected difficult. They do this to conserve energy and can often times be right on top on the food.

When temps. get like they are now another great place to find the whitetails is thick concentrations of cedars and especially those on south facing hillsides. They say that the cedars act as a blanket and the temps can actually be up to 10 degrees warmer in the thickets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts