Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Texas county and would like to know if anyone can tell me of a place where I can get dropped off by my wife and fish upstream to a pick up point. I've fished the trout parks but I'm the type that likes to find out of the way places to fish that people don't normally go to. To me that's where you get the true trout fishing experience. We moved here about a year ago and I did a bunch of trout fishing in Pennsylvania but never in parks like there are here. I want to teach my stepsons how to really do it, the way I was taught and know. The right way.Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
The rivers below the trout parks might suit you better. There are several trophy trout areas. You might consider renting a canoe and floating. I like the 11 Point River but it would be difficult to wade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rivers below the trout parks might suit you better. There are several trophy trout areas. You might consider renting a canoe and floating. I like the 11 Point River but it would be difficult to wade.
What's your go to bait for places like that?

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
Most of the trophy areas have regulations on what you can use. I think bait is a no go on all of them. Some are "fly" only, no trebel hooks, etc.
If legal, I have caught a lot of trout on the 11 point with small rebel crawdad crankbaits. I have also had good luck with rooster tails and wooly worms with a spinner. Most important is to be able to get it deep in fast water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the trophy areas have regulations on what you can use. I think bait is a no go on all of them. Some are "fly" only, no trebel hooks, etc.
If legal, I have caught a lot of trout on the 11 point with small rebel crawdad crankbaits. I have also had good luck with rooster tails and wooly worms with a spinner. Most important is to be able to get it deep in fast water.
Thanks for the helpful info it's much appreciated. Tight lines 😉

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Thanks for the helpful info it's much appreciated. Tight lines 😉
That basic information will work well on just about all southern mo streams so dont overlook the smallmouth and goggleye fishing in SOMO.

Reactions: DonJuan

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
If you are into camping an overnight float would be awsome. Big browns come out at night. Try the Meramec from Hwy. 8 down. Camp below where the springs dump in. Nice, comfortable 2 day float and I bet you will catch fish.

·
Registered
21,267 Posts
White River in Arkansas may be more to your liking.

·
Registered
19,185 Posts
The Rebel Crawdad cranks and the Rebel Grasshoppers yellow/black are killer in those streams!

Vertebrate Product Automotive parking light Organism Line

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
We used to go below Monatauk and fish the river in the winter time. Could wade fish down to several road crossings . Dead minnows seemed to work well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts