Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

We're still looking for donations of body feathers for our Turkey Feather Blanket re-creation project. If you bag a bird this spring and have no use for those feathers, we sure would appreciate it if you could donate them. It takes body feathers from many birds to make a single blanket, and about 2000 hours of time to make one. First we have to make about 1500 feet of 2 strand yucca twine and then weave the twine and feathers into a blanket.

If you're willing to help with some feathers, please email me for my address. We only need body feathers 3 inches and longer, no tail or wing feathers.

Thanks for your help!
Phil in New Mexico

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Would it work to skin the bird and salt and ship the whole hide to you???

Your letting us know ahead of the season this year. Maybe we can help get you some this time.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Henry,

Yeah, I found this site too late last year to post ahead of season. Hopefully everyone will have a good harvest and be willing to donate them this year.

As far as salting skins, if that's easier than pulling the feathers and putting them in a paper sack, sure. We can use all we can get. Just don't send them bloody and wet. Just dust it and let the skin dry before posting so it doesn't spoil in transit. We've always found pulling the feathers and bagging them in a paper grocery sack easier.

Thanks again!
Phil

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Yep folks let's try to give a Phil a big hand and show 'em what we Missouri turkeys is made of!!:dancin:

Jack

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
I'm gonna try and send the feathers from at least one bird this year. I thought of this in Kansas last weekend,,,,but I cleaned my bird at the motel,,I figured they might not appreciate the mess if I plucked it. The explorer we were in was almost overloaded with guns and gear for 3 people(them thing fill up fast). I'll have better facilities for plucking at camp.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Come on folks let's don't forget Phil and his quest for turkey feathers.:cheers:

Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.