Wild Turkey Feathers Needed

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Phil, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Phil

Phil New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Hi.

We're still looking for donations of body feathers for our Turkey Feather Blanket re-creation project. If you bag a bird this spring and have no use for those feathers, we sure would appreciate it if you could donate them. It takes body feathers from many birds to make a single blanket, and about 2000 hours of time to make one. First we have to make about 1500 feet of 2 strand yucca twine and then weave the twine and feathers into a blanket.

If you're willing to help with some feathers, please email me for my address. We only need body feathers 3 inches and longer, no tail or wing feathers.

Thanks for your help!
    Phil in New Mexico

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Would it work to skin the bird and salt and ship the whole hide to you???

Your letting us know ahead of the season this year. Maybe we can help get you some this time.

:cheers::cheers:

3. Phil

Phil New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Thanks Henry,

Yeah, I found this site too late last year to post ahead of season. Hopefully everyone will have a good harvest and be willing to donate them this year.

As far as salting skins, if that's easier than pulling the feathers and putting them in a paper sack, sure. We can use all we can get. Just don't send them bloody and wet. Just dust it and let the skin dry before posting so it doesn't spoil in transit. We've always found pulling the feathers and bagging them in a paper grocery sack easier.

Thanks again!
    Phil

4. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Yep folks let's try to give a Phil a big hand and show 'em what we Missouri turkeys is made of!!:dancin:

Jack

6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I'm gonna try and send the feathers from at least one bird this year. I thought of this in Kansas last weekend,,,,but I cleaned my bird at the motel,,I figured they might not appreciate the mess if I plucked it. The explorer we were in was almost overloaded with guns and gear for 3 people(them thing fill up fast). I'll have better facilities for plucking at camp.

:cheers::cheers:

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Come on folks let's don't forget Phil and his quest for turkey feathers.:cheers:

Jack

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    ill definately help out, if and when i get one... tried to last year but :mad2: someway somehow they got lost in the mail.. :mad2:

9. Chinook84

Chinook84 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    I have 2 bags here of feathers, I always try to keep them for dreamcatchers I make. I'll dig them up and send you an email!

10. Phil

Phil New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Top.

Still need feathers. Thought we'd try one more time. Maybe this year will be our lucky year to get donations.

Thanks in advance!
    Phil
    :wave:

11. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan
    We'll try to get a few that come into the taxdermy studio but our season isn't over until may so it will be a while.

12. Phil

Phil New Member

Dec 23, 2004