Wild trout and bamboo

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by sharps4590, Oct 31, 2010.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Hadn't been on a creek for too long so yesterday morning I headed off to one of my favorite wild trout creeks. It was slow at first, pretty cool too, but as the day warmed thing got more active. It was cool enough on the creek for frost and I saw my first ribbon frost of the year....I just love looking at this stuff...

[file]144583[/file]

I was using my 290 South Bend bamboo rod with a #6 DT, Terenzio silk line rigged with a #16 Irristible and an olive dropper of my modification. This little parr marked trout ate the dropper

[file]144585[/file]

His bigger sibling decided on the Irristible

[file]144587[/file]

Nothing big but all wild as a March hare! They don't allow any mistakes or carelessness. Challanging, technical fishing. I ended up with 5-6 fish, missed more than that and lost 3-4 hookups. Beautiful morning on an equally beautiful Ozark spring fed creek in Gods wonderful creation. Now it's off to church to thank Him for that creation and the day.

2. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    Love the wild ones for sure.

3. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    .....white tips on the fins.....really sweet.:cheers:

4. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
  5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Great pics, great post!!!:claphands::wave:

6. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Very nice, looks like a lot of fun, and peaceful no doubt....:2thumbsup:

7. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
  8. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    deerkill...fry it up? Ain't gonna happen on that creek with fish that size. There's a limit of one per day of at least 18 inches. Flys or hard bodied lures only, no live bait, salmon eggs, worms, corn or soft plastic lures. Besides, if I want to eat fish it's gonna be bluegill, bass, crappie or walleye. Don't care for trout at all no matter how they're prepared.

Shrapnel, nope, not the Roubidoux. East of there.

9. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Ok...I'll be the one to ask....what the heck is in that first picture????

10. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    archer, that's ribbon frost, sometimes called rabbit frost. It occurs when the temperature drops, obviously, and is formed by the moisture inside certain plant stalks that freezes as it is squeezed out of the stalk through a crack, forming a ribbon. Just one of those many things in nature that I find astoundingly beautiful and never tire of seeing. The picture isn't all that good and I apologize for that.

Vic

11. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Nice work Vic!

Love the frost ribbon. They call them frost flowers up here. :cheers:

12. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Thank you sir!

"a rose by an other name would smell just as sweet" 1FastCam....they're just too cool no matter what they're called, aren't they!