Wild flower/weed I.D.'s needed

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by jaytee, May 28, 2009.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Went over to Brushpiles this morning to get some treetubes and found a few wildflowers that we needed an I.D. for. Here's the first one.

[file]58762[/file]

[file]58760[/file]

2. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    No.2

[file]58766[/file]

[file]58764[/file]

3. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove

[file]58768[/file]

4. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    No. 4 has an orange flower and a yellow flower.

[file]58770[/file]

5. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove

[file]58774[/file]

[file]58772[/file]

6. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove

[file]58776[/file]

7. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

2. is a vetch for sure....prolli crown vetch

8. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I think #1 is alfalfa. Not sure, but appears to be a legume.

Agreed that #2 is a vetch of some flavor I'm still learning the different ones. #3 is rough fruited cinquefoil. I think #6 is foxglove beardtongue.

4, and 5, I'll need to do some searching. Never seen anything like #5 before. Wonder if its a landscaping plant that escaped.

9. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    I dont think 1 is alfalfa Dano. No.5 was growing a mile down the road from my house on a South facing slope that was somewhat glady. Probably 5 or 6 different ones growing that I could see from the road.

10. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I think I'm spent. Looked through a couple websites and didn't find any other matches.

11. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    I think 1 is Spring Larkspur.

12. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Guess it could be, but I was looking at the leaf configuration. Looks like a trifoliate on the picture you have above. Didn't see any pics of spring larkspur with a trifoliate. Just doesn't quite seem like it.

13. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Letemgrow, #2 is Crown Vetch... I just looked it up, and it's a non-native invasive.:mad2: I does have a pretty flower though.:roll2:

14. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

[rquote=1278674&tid=89449&author=brushpile]Letemgrow, #2 is Crown Vetch... I just looked it up, and it's a non-native invasive.:mad2: I does have a pretty flower though.:roll2:[/rquote]

my cattle like to eat it and they have helped sit it back in one of the pastures. :cheers:

15. limbhanger28

limbhanger28 Active Member

Feb 6, 2008
    southwest Missouri
    No. 5 is an evening primrose they are kind of a neat glades area plant. They bloom in the evenings and if you are there at the right time you can watch them bloom.

16. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Well these plants must have been transplanted from somewhere back east as they were about 6 hours or so early:D. It was about noon when I spotted them.

17. limbhanger28

limbhanger28 Active Member

Feb 6, 2008
    southwest Missouri
    They stay bloomed through the night most times you see them during the day and they are starting to droop a little. There are a lot of them on the glades down on the gladetop trail and other mark twain national forest right now.