Why

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by 90acres, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I'm not much of a trotliner, but put out a few hooks a couple times a year when we camp at Pomme. I've always had the issue of my bait being gone. I baited 35 hooks this weekend and when I run them in the morning all but a couple baits are gone. I use live perch caught at Pomme. I use circle hooks and also a few straight hooks. I even use the Gamatsus like Vince recommended a while back. What do I need to do different? I only caught one smallish flatty all weekend.

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I always had my best luck, running lake trots in the middle of the night. If I waited til morning as you did, seems like I would have similar experience.

I don't know how possible it is for a fish to get off a hook, but I always thought given enough time some of them can.... :shrug:

3. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

Where are you hooking the bait? It seems to me that they stay alive longest if you go through the eyes, but I've seen lots of people go through the back. Regardless, If the hook kills the bait, a turtle can easily strip a line clean in a night's time.

I'm no expert but that was my first thought....

4. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    That's probably what's happening.... Turtles.:eek::

5. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Pomme has a lot of turtles, as well as a very healthy muskie and gar population.
    I have always had the best luck when setting lines at the opposite end of the lake from the dam.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Turtles my guess also, first thing I thought of when I was reading your post.

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    This is probably why I had better luck running lines a couple times in middle of the night too, as we kept the hooks baited with live baits.... :eek::

8. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Gar, not sure if Pomme has gar but it probably does. Gar strip bait right down the line and seldom get hooked because of their hard mouth.

Bait as late as you feel comfortable being on the water. Gar hunt by sight, so baiting at dark, fishing new moon, muddy water all help keep gar off your line.

Turtles usually hit dead bait, most times decent perch won't die on the hook overnight unless something was gnawing on them (again gar)

9. 90acres

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I've hooked both middle back and back just behind dorsel, neither help for keeping baits. They should be alive.. Pomme does have lots of turtles but surely no more than Truman or Twain. I have caught a 30" muskie on a line before, maybe I should target them.

10. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Bait late, keep them above thermocline, and hope the gar and turtles don't eat them. I hook in the back and I caught a 25-30lb blue that had something around 4 of my other baits in its stomach with their backs ripped from the hook.
    I think it's just part of the game you can't avoid. Rebait your lines in the middle of the night and you'll catch more fish too. If you're losing fish off the line you'll usually know from twisted up line, slime, etc..

11. 90acres

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I do occasionally have perch that looked like they were swallowed then pulled out of a throat, but don't get why they aren't hooking the fish. That's gotta hurt.

12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Sounds like a gar hole.

13. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
    Woods.
  14. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I agree with a bunch of the others. Gar is probably your problem. Their mouths are too rigid (and their strike to skillful) to catch many lf them with a trotline hook.

The only way to combat it is to only bait JUST before dark or in the dark. Baits out during the day time are going to get knocked off by gar.

I have had a few issues with turtles in lake fishing, but nothing like the issues gars will cause.

There is one other thing that may be hurting you, and that is a tight main trotline. For some reason, a lot of folks think they need to be banjo-tight. This completely counter productive. It give the caught fish(and even a big bait) something sturdy to pull against to pull the hook loose. It also makes it to where a hooked big fish (really only a couple pound channel or blue) can REALLY make havoc is throwing the bait off your line.

One other thing, if at any point you are SNAPPING your main line down in the water, you are throwing off bait. Anyone that has ever fished with me knows this is one of my biggest gripes (I have several, I am a picky cuss. :) )

All of these things hurt you. All of these things added together, you are honestly wasting your time. :)

15. 90acres

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    One was tied bank to bank and had plenty of slack. The other was strung out from a point with a window weight to hold it. So I don't think that too tight of line was an issue but I will keep that in mind. I'll keep at it, it's kinda fun for a weekend.

Thanks for the opinions, I may be baiting too early, usually a couple hours before dark. I'll try that first.

16. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok fish Pomme for Catfish mainly with Rod and Reel.

Turtles drive me nuts there and I found there that Turtles will bite Stink Bait.

Pomme de Terre Lake Catfish.

[​IMG]

oneshot

:D The Big Grin chases Coons there.

17. MAJORTOM

MAJORTOM Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    I've had the same problem on LOZ. I may bait in the afternoon with live bluegill, but always check them at or just after dark. Get up in the morning and check them only to find empty hooks. No slime on the lines.......just empty hooks! I run lines right off the dock with 9/0 or 10/0 circle hooks with 250# drop line with swivels and a screen door spring attached to the dock. :shrug: