Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like yesterday for instance. They were gobbling non stop until flydown, but this morning I never heard a single gobble from the same spots. From past observations temperature doesn't seem to be the determining factor, so what is it that makes them shut off some mornings?
So far I am not hearing but a few gobbles once they hit the ground, but most mornings lots of birds within earshot gobbling on the roost.

15,013 Posts
Today I asked a guy the same questions.

Last year early in the morning i coulld hear several toms, that night I watched them walk into the woods and heard them fly up. Thenext morning at dark thirty I hooted, nothing. I got set up, still dark, a guy on other side of creek was walking along and would crow call now and then. Nothing, not a peep. A little after sunrise the 3 toms come walking out of the woods, nary a sound until they saw my decoy..

· Registered
21,443 Posts
So many variables that make a turkey gobble or not gobble such as:
location (they may not be there), spooked (they heard or saw something), weather (rain, fog, wind), henned up (roosted with so many hens they don't need to advertise), skeered (got butt kicked by dominant bird), landscape (hills, bluff, cedar grove, terrain, etc. blocking the gobbling sound from reaching your ears), teased out (non-responsive hens)...

But if you really want to know, maybe you should ask a woman, cause I can't figure them out either.

· Registered
Fly rod!
4,234 Posts
I think they all (phone)call each other the night before and plan a quiet morning just to drive us nuts! I never could figure out how you can have gobblers tearing it up one morning, then the next morning under the same weather and barometric conditions, they are tight lipped. The weirdest thing is when you can hear them over a mile away the day before and they are all quiet on the other places the next morning too.
Damn freaks. o_O

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As near as I can tell this morning was a carbon copy of yesterday morning when they were just hammering from the roost!
The spot I hunt (and have been listening) is on a hilltop and I can usually hear half a dozen on that property and at least 30 different birds on the surrounding farms. It struck me as odd that I never heard a single gobble this morning. I know they are there and roost in, or almost in the same spots every night. This farm is landlocked, so it is unlikely they were spooked by a person. Even if they were, the birds on the other farms should have been vocal. I think Joe might have the best advise so far about asking a woman

Reactions: rat

· Registered
Fly rod!
4,234 Posts
I think they all (phone)call each other the night before and plan a quiet morning just to drive us nuts! I never could figure out how you can have gobblers tearing it up one morning, then the next morning under the same weather and barometric conditions, they are tight lipped. The weirdest thing is when you can hear them over a mile away the day before and they are all quiet on the other places the next morning too.
Damn freaks. o_O :elmer:

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As near as I can tell this morning was a carbon copy of yesterday morning when they were just hammering from the roost!
The spot I hunt (and have been listening) is on a hilltop and I can usually hear half a dozen on that property and at least 30 different birds on the surrounding farms. It struck me as odd that I never heard a single gobble this morning. I know they are there and roost in, or almost in the same spots every night. This farm is landlocked, so it is unlikely they were spooked by a person. Even if they were, the birds on the other farms should have been vocal. I think Joe might have the best advise so far about asking a woman

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like roosted were the hens take him
Year after year week in and week out they roost in the same areas on this farm. It, and the surrounding farms are mostly pasture or hay fields with the only timber being in steep draws, so roost sites are somewhat limited.

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What @Gamegetter posted.. and/including.........

Crystal Clear Cloudless Mornings Usually Coincide With High Pressure. High Barometric Pressure = Gobblers Being More Vocal On The Roost.

Barometer imo plays a roll...
I have been watching the conditions pretty close and yesterday and this morning were nearly identical in temp, humidity, pressure, cloud cover and wind. Something sure was different though

Reactions: WBF

· Hawk Hibernator
2,850 Posts
Slight change in the hens nesting situation most probably if the hens are right there the males tend to gobble less And on other days the hens may be on the nest and not as available for mating whuch probably causes the love sick Toms to be more boisterous.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I don't think the turkeys know what make them want to gobble.

I have always felt like there might be certain vocal birds in an area that kind of trigger the other birds because of their gobbling . On the mornings they roost with hens and don't gobble they don't trigger the other birds. The reason I suspicion that is because we have chased and killed those noisy birds many times and it's not uncommon for a lull in gobbling for a day or more with that bird gone.

It's just a theory , but since nobody else knows for sure , it's as good as any . :D

Reactions: WBF and rat

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
Songbirds will to the same thing and nobody knows the trigger.
A lot of times what will trigger a gobbler is unheard by you. They could be roosted with a hen or 4 that have a soft morning yelp on the limb you don’t hear and they sound off. Could be any number of things that cause a gobbler to get noisy... or not.
I proclaimed our farm last year as a bust because of lack of gobbling compared to years past and I think for the most part it was. That doesn’t mean there weren’t turkeys there.
I long ago quit trying to figure it out or even think about it.
What I enjoy most is watching the woods wake up and hearing those first songbirds, anticipating that first gobble or not. It’s a great time of the year to wear camo and get back into hunting mode.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.