Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've saw tons of stuff for the Rugar 10/22 but nothing for the lowely Marlin M 60. Why ? I've shot .22" of all kinds for 50 yrs and I never had one that would shoot as good as this 99.00 Walmart special. So why no aftermarket sttuff, not that I need any.:wink4:

· Registered
6,021 Posts
that is a dang good question
i have a m60 and a marlin m70 that was just made a few years same gun only clip and not tube mag.

marlin makes dang dang good 22 tack drivers almost all of them. if you look hard you can find a few larger mag for the m70 uses same mag as the marlin papose which is a take down model. its hard hard hard to find any thing for a m60
perhaps its because they out shoot 10/22 with all the goodies HAHAHA and don't need any extras i don't know i would be willing to bet theres been lot more m60 marlins sold over the years than 10/22's any one who don't have one don't know what there missing

5,631 Posts
I love my M60 and I have wondered the same thing quite often. Who knows. I like mine how it is. It just got a new piggy back rider. Simmons 3-9X32 scope! Look out tree rats!!!

· Registered
13,828 Posts
It's pretty simple, if you look at the way the rifles are built. 10/22s are modular, you can take them apart, and replace most anything, barrels included, and all the trigger parts, etc. M60s are NOT modular, by any means, the barrels are press-fit and pinned into place, the triggers are a nightmare to work on, the tubular magazine doesn't lend itself to ANY modifications whatsoever, and they have to be in an exact relationship with the barrels to work properly. The 10/22 magazines are workable, alterable, and lend themselves to modifications quite easily. My M60 is a wonderful shooter, just like most folks, but it's not nearly as reliable as a 10/22, either. I have both, among others. If I want a rifle to work every time, I grab the 10/22. If it doesn't really matter, either way, like when squirrel hunting, I use the old Marlin. I must have killed a traincar load of squirrels and rabbits with that old gun.

· Registered
30 Posts
I had a siimilar experience with my model 57 Marlin, Glen. It was the most accurate .22 I owned for quite a while. But it was not reliable. I traded it.

The early 10/22's with their butt ugly stocks (pun intended) just begged to be removed and used for kindling. The 10/22 had a neatly designed magazine in my opinion.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
well glen summed it up best as to the differance between the two but on that note i would like to add one thing in regards to marlin rimfires. their barrels with that micro groove are the most tack diving S.O.B.'s out there. i will tip the hat to the savage when it comes to accurate centerfire rifles out of the box with an affordable price but when it comes to rimfires Marlin is up there with CZ in my book. now that being said i'm not saying the tube fed version is going to be as accurate as these CZ's and what not but the removable magazine models are tack driving animals. in my opinion you would have to really buck up to get a better barrel in a rimfire. now the trigger on those rascals is a whole nother matter.:cheers:
Edit:
yes i am saying that barrel for barrel the marlin bolt action is a better gun than the Ruger M77/22 out of the box. but the action,stock, fit & finnish of the Ruger is way above the marlin until you compare the groups down range.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
I have a Remington 597, and I have the same complaint - there is absolutely nothing available for it!

Jmac - I have the same scope as you just got, on my 597. I find that it is accurate, at 3 or 4 power. Anything else, and it goes all wacky. I thought it had something to do with the parallax or something, don't know. I was going to get one of the prostaff or new Leupold rimfire scopes. Let me know how your Simmons works for ya.

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had one of the marlin bull barrel jobs with a clip, it would outshoot anything at the range ! But, I didn't like the clip, right at the carry point, so I sild it abnd bought a Model 60, I didn't excpect it to shoot very good but man it hangs in ther with the best of them ! It does have a poor trigger but it still shoots good. and every bit as accurate as my bull barrel job and much better than any Rugar 10/22 I ever owned or shot. I won't tell you the groups I've shot at 25,50,75 yds no one would believe it and it has a cheap 4 x BSA scope on it !
The tree rats have been in trouble, 3 limits in 3 evenings. I've never had one that was unreliable, just clean the gunk out once in a while.:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.